CNET Editors' review
Business professionals who spend a substantial amount of time behind the wheel will find a helpful dictation secretary in MyCaption. A simple interface mirrors the application's ease of use. Click to record an e-mail up to 3 minutes in length, or a memo, task, or calendar item. You can opt to review the e-mail message before sending it out. MyCaption then uploads the content to secure, Amazon-hosted servers, where it's transcribed using a combination of machine-based speech recognition and human transcription, and rerouted.
Thanks to human interception during lengthy dictation, e-mails were accurate during our tests. More complex calendar entries were less successful, but if you follow the prompts and keep it short, MyCaption can usually slot your activity in the right day and time on your BlackBerry calendar.
In a nod to corporate security, MyCaption can use a secure connection (SSL) and route through the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. While enlightened in this regard, the dictation program suffers from an underdeveloped online address book system, not to mention Web site. You'll not only need to create a MyCaption log-in to start using the software, you'll also need to spent time setting up an address book on the difficult-to-navigate site. MyCaption can only automatically send messages to you, or to those you've included on this digital Rolodex. The necessity of manually adding contacts is the program's most tender Achilles' heel. The service would be stronger were it able to import contacts from Microsoft Outlook and from the BlackBerry address book.
There are various pricing plans, including a pay-as-you-go model and a subscription package. The $9.99 BlackBerry App World download, for instance, gets you 20 minutes of talk time, about 80 short messages or fewer for longer messages. While MyCaption does have one or two stumbling blocks, these flexible pricing plans and the accurate transcription will appeal to road warriors who have enough time to do a little online configuration before their trips.
For business users on the go, Voice is the New Keyboard! Speak comfortable-length messages, freely and naturally. MyCaption Email Dictation is highly accurate and secure. With its Voice-to-Text capability, you get higher productivity and convenience. And it synchronizes your e-mails, calendar, note, memo and task entries exactly as if you typed them yourself -- to your Outlook, Google Apps or to Lotus Notes. It works seamlessly with BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server).
If your Outlook has a toolbar for CRM systems like Salesforce, Microsoft Dynamics, or SugarCRM, your synchronization with CRM will also work, just as before.
What's new in this version: Version 18.104.22.168 supports Convenience Key and Storm and Tour devices.
More Products to Consider
- Take a picture and import contact info from business cards to y...
- Get a scientific calculator with graphing functions.
- A smart and handy tool to log, track and manage your daily expe...
- Connect your BlackBerry smartphone to your computer to get the ...
- Always be aware of who is calling you.
- Manage your Starbucks card from your BlackBerry Device.
- Find your location via your BlackBerry device.
- Free Economics Terms Dictionary for PalmOS.
- See who is calling even on unknown calls.
- Share your pin or unique barcode to connect with friends anywhe...
- Receive stock quotes and read news on any Java or Symbian cellp...
- Material for financial students & financial professionals.
- Manage your checking, savings, credit cards and budgets on the ...
- Make your meal with minimal mistakes and enjoy the process of c...
- Assess opportunities across markets.
- Get an user-friendly reader for Stock Market news.
- Get instant access to anyone who's ever e-mailed you on your Bl...
- Take your trading to the next level from your iPad.
- Save time & money tracking & reporting travel, expenses, and th...
- Record voice notes, lectures, meetings, or reminders via your S...
- Convert your videos into MP4 format for Blackberry device.
- Create your to-do list, organize your tasks, or take notes.
- Display DMX value or set DIP switches.
- Filter spam directly from your BlackBerry e-mail inbox.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Excellent productivity-booster! Accurate speech to text"
Version: MyCaption for BlackBerry 22.214.171.124
Easy to install, Simple to use. The text is returned within minutes. Highly recommended to all mobile professionals who do not want to waste time typing emails all day. You can edit emails before sending out. Can pause & restart while speaking.
It needs only one username and yet supports all your email accounts. So might be a little bit confusing initially but once you get used to it, it is very convenient. Supports memos and notes to contacts but not the text messages.
I have been using this product for over a month now, and am addicted to it. I have never typed an email for past month or so. MyCaption lets you speak for up to 3 minutes, which is more than what i need most of the time.
I have a BlackBerry Bold and I could find no other product for speech-to-text application for Bold. Once downloaded, you can compose a new email, reply to you emails, create a memo, create notes for the contacts in your addressbook - all this without typing a single word!
I like it for its simplicity - they have explained the steps here: http://www.mycaption.com/home/works
Highly recommended to all BlackBerry users! Like me, just check out the Free Trial (http://mycaption.com/main/registration) and you'll fall in love with it!