CNET Editors' reviewWith its basic concept of colorful tiles strategically placed on a playing board, Mariko is similar to Mah Jongg. Mad Data's Mariko 1.0 marks a good-looking yet ill-explained and unstable attempt to bring the classic Chinese game into the electronic world. The fairly rich graphics resemble a classic Mariko board and tiles, but the game's controls are a nightmare to manipulate. The tutorial includes rough descriptions that make it difficult to grasp the rules on a first or even second read. Unfortunately, you can't return to the tutorial for another look once you start the game. We actually failed to find an intuitive way out of the game at all, managing to end it only with help from the Task Manager. Stability problems will probably squash any remaining affection you have for the game.
From Mad Data:
Match neighboring tiles in this ancient Chinese board game. Fill up the board as much as possible with stones, each of which can be placed only adjacent to a stone that shares either its color or its name. Like all great board games, Mariko's concept is deceptively simple, but offers a deeply complex and challenging experience.
More Products to Consider
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Knock stones off the board before they stack up.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Match sets of tiles together to clear them from the board and a...
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Line 5 one-color stones to win.
- Drive your truck across America and build your own business emp...
- Play an ancient Chinese battle game.
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Move, hit, and split your stones in this 8x8 square boardgame.
- Choose from simple numbered tiles or several sets of Chinese ch...
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Learn about the I Ching or the ancient Chinese Book of Wisdom.
- Play GTA:Vice City online or via LAN connection.
- Fill the board with tiles that disappear and fall to the center...
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Play 3D version of popular Chinese solitaire game.
- Add new features to your Red Alert 2 game.
- Fill more cells with your color than the opponent.
- Fill the board with non-matching multicolored tiles.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"highly recommend this one"
Version: Mariko 1.0
This is one of the best of its type, easy to learn, hard to master. What I like most however, is that it has no irritating sounds or effects!! Contemplative games should not have frenetic qualitites.