CNET Editors' review
There seems to be no end to the variety of gadgets that the Windows Sidebar enables on the desktop in Vista and Windows 7. Language Translator for Windows Sidebar localizes the proven usefulness of Web-based translators on your desktop, with the flexibility of a gadget. Like most Windows gadgets, it's free.
Windows gadgets tend to be small by design, and at 260KB, Language Translator is no exception. Like other gadgets, it's as easy to manage as your screensaver or desktop background: right-click anywhere in the desktop and select Gadgets from the menu. The tool itself is a compact, colorful square with from-to language selections on the top edge and a Translate button on the bottom, with a space to enter text in between. The default selection was English to French, but clicking either language field let us select other languages from an extensive drop-down list ranging from Afrikaans to Yiddish. We entered our English text, pressed translate, and voila! Language Translator quickly translated our entry and displayed it in French in a pop-up window. Some languages, such as Korean and Hindi, displayed native script instead of transliterated entries in Romanized (i.e. "English") characters. Clicking More opened the publisher's Web site. As with other gadgets, we could close, enlarge, and drag it via the right-hand controls that appear when you mouse over them.
Gadgets bring a lot of useful stuff to your desktop, like clocks, weather displays, and notekeepers. Language Translator for Windows Sidebar is one of the most useful yet unobtrusive gadgets we've tried. And it's fast.
This is a 43-language both-way translator gadget. Language Translator needs to run in the Windows Sidebar, it is more convenient than any separate translation software or widget.
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Choose the best variant of translation using different translat...
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Create and stick electronic notes on your Windows desktop.
- Put a digital analog clock gadget on your desktop.
- Translate words, sentences, passages among 53 languages.
- Translate text from anywhere on screen with a single mouse sele...
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Translate any word or words on screen as you move your mouse cu...
- Translate your documents and texts between 53 languages using o...
- Translate text directly from your desktop.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows user interface.
- Translate text from German into English.
- Monitor your processor temperature via a graph at the bottom of...
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Communicate with ICQ users in their own languages.
- Translate words and phrases with Google translation engine righ...
- Install multiple useful gadgets for Windows 7 in one click.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: