CNET Editors' review
This program is called Kid-Key-Lock, but it could just as easily be called Cat-Key-Lock. It was just a few days ago that we came back to our computer to find that our cat had added several letters and numbers and 15 pages of carriage returns to a document that we had been working on. Whether you have a curious toddler or an oblivious feline, Kid-Key-Lock can keep your computer safe from unwanted keyboard and mouse input.
The program appears as an icon in the system tray, and you can access the setup menu by right-clicking on it. From there, there are several options for customizing Kid-Key-Lock's functions. You can lock various mouse buttons, the mouse wheel, and double-clicking, and there are four levels of keyboard locking: system key combinations; all keys except characters, space, Enter, and arrow keys; all keys except characters, space, and Enter; or all keys on the keyboard. When only the keyboard is locked, you can click on the program's icon to unlock it; when the mouse is also locked, you can type a password (which the program will display) in order to unlock. The program also accepts one command line parameter that can be used if the password has been forgotten. A built-in Help file is brief but adequate. Overall, Kid-Key-Lock is nothing fancy, but it is an effective way to keep kids, cats, and anyone else who can't read from composing their magnum opus of gibberish.
Kid-Key-Lock installs and uninstalls without issues. We recommend this program to everyone.
Kid Key Lock's purpose is to lock specific keyboard keys/combinations and specific mouse functions. Kid Key Lock can be used to prevent accidental presses of the right mouse click, double click, and key combinations such as Alt-F4, Alt-Tab, the "Start" key, etc. It is ideal to be used with young children games, when you want to let your children play a computer game but you dont want them to mess around with your pc. Kid Key Lock (or Kid-Key-Lock, or KidKeyLock) is ideal to be used in order to prevent toddlers from accidentally pressing unwanted buttons on your keyboard and mouse. When Kid Key Lock is running, an indicator icon will appear on your system tray. When you click on the tray icon a pop-up menu will appear. All program functions, including the setup dialog box are accessible from this menu. If you like Kid Key Lock but you may also have a look at Pro Key Lock. Pro Key Lock is shareware. You can download and try it for free for 10 days and if you like it you may buy it for a small price. The program works on Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.
What's new in this version: Removed buggy "hide mouse" option. Fixed broken URLs in about box.
More Products to Consider
- Monitor your PC use and log keystrokes, clipboard, screenshot, ...
- Determine a random order for a group of people or choose indivi...
- Enhance your gameplay by editing Xbox 360 gamesaves.
- Print at home or at your office passport photo and ID photo.
- Convert and resize your image files.
- Drive racing cars at high speed and prove that you are the grea...
- Drive the mosquitoes away.
- Let your children practice basic math skills with flashcards.
- Watch weather just like the view from the window.
- Give your kids something to do, with this coloring book for you...
- Meassure distances and angles on your desktop.
- Battle hordes of space chickens.
- Keep your kids racing against colorful ladybugs.
- Categorize and keep track of your movie collection.
- Filter adult content and browse the Web safely.
- Create realistic, 3D walk-throughs of your design ideas.
- Protect your children while they use the Internet without spend...
- Find out interesting information about your birth date.
- Give your first-grade reader a boost mastering the Top 100 Sigh...
- Design and print labels for your tapes, discs, and other disc m...
- Prevent kids from shopping, filling out registration forms, and...
- Disable private browsing option in any Web browser.
- Test your memory with an animal-based game of concentration.
- Control your children's activities on the PC.
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 6 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-6 of 6
Version: Kid Key Lock 2.2
This program is great. I've wanted exactly this program for ages!
There are ads during installation but other than this the program is great.
Version: Kid Key Lock 2.2
Does exactly what it says. Simple and intuitive interface. A must-have for parents of young children.
It doesn't lock alt-control+del
"Watch out for Babylon"
Version: Kid Key Lock 2.1
It does exactly what it says with regard to keeping the kiddie paws from doing any damage
It installs Babylon, a toolbar and homepage hijacker. I opted out of this during the installation but it installed it anyway and it was a real bear to get rid of. Be careful.
If you use Firefox, there are ways to get rid of Babylon using the about:config in the URL bar, searching for Babylon, resetting any reference to Babylon, and then restarting firefox.
Updated on Jul 7, 2012
Without Babylon this is a great piece of software. With it, just adware.
Version: Kid Key Lock 2.0
Able to disable keyboard and mouse
While installing be careful. It asks you to install junk some bar, and set you homepage to some junk. Make sure to click decline and un-tick the marks.
Crtl+Alt+Del is not prevented.
The programs takes up a lot of resources.
If you choose to hide the mouse cpu usage will go to 100
Not worth it.
"Easy to use and does exactly what I wanted"
Version: Kid Key Lock 1.7
Fast and simple, options for locking (which keys), easy notification so you can see when it is on, locks the right mouse button which is VERY helpful.
None that I can think of. Maybe one additional option that allows for all keys locked except for arrow and character keys.
This is perfect for when you want your little ones to play "keyboard banger" games or when your toddler is playing and you want to make sure she can't accidentally hit something.
"Simple, does what it should."
Version: Kid Key Lock 1.7
Locks your keyboard.
Configurable which keys and mouse buttons are locked.
None that I've found.
If you want to show your kids videos and don't want them messing with things or accidentally stopping the video, this software does what you want.