CNET Editors' review
Kantaris is a free, open-source media player built upon the same playback engine as Videolan's VLC Media Player, but with more convenience for the average user and a sleek, stylish skin. Its layout is similar to Windows Media Player, too, but with many of the little improvements and updates that open source freeware offers. With its top-quality video codecs and the well-regarded BASS audio codecs, it's designed to be an all-in-one media player that doesn't sacrifice playback performance for convenience. Kantaris can also retrieve media information online, and it has hotkeys, full-screen view, and most of the user-friendly features that many other players offer.
With its black and gray tones and sleek highlights, Kantaris offers a more contemporary look than the basic VLC player or Windows Media Player, at least to our eyes. The yellow highlights make an attractive contrast. The right-side playlist toggles open and closed. Prominent Playback and Plugin Manager buttons let us quickly access the most frequently used features. Kantaris offers many options and settings, though fewer than VLC. But, like VLC, Kantaris is an open source project, and developers can download its C## source code from the program's Web site. As for its performance and playback quality, we have no complaints about Kantaris, which will accurately reproduce your digital media files using the latest codecs, updated automatically. Kantaris easily handled whatever we threw at it. Of course, any real differences will be determined by the quality of your video or sound card or the source material.
We're big fans of VLC's free, open-source media player, but there's no doubt that it's a bit fiddly for some users, or that it's a bit plain compared to the sleek skins offered by the competition. You can reskin VLC in virtually any style, of course, but that's getting into the sort of tweaking and customizing that Kantaris aims to spare you: If you like that sort of thing, you're probably already using VLC. Kantaris lets you take advantage of the high quality offered by VLC and BASS as well as the convenience of Windows Media Player in a stylish, up-to-date wrapper.
From Christofer Persson:
Kantaris can play almost anything you can throw at it, AVI (DivX, Xvid, H264), MPEG, MGEG-AVC, WMV, MOV, MKV, FLV, MP3, WMA, and OGG files. Kantaris can also play DVD and audio CD. The player also displays beautiful visualizations for music. Kantaris is an all new media player based on code from VideoLan Client (VLC) and Bass audio library. Kantaris has a graphical user interface that is similar with Windows Media Player.
More Products to Consider
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Watch movies and listen to your favourite songs of different fo...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Create playlists and play any audio and video files.
- Manage and play DVDs, movies, music, photos, and Internet radio...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Unite many movie video clips together in a large file.
- View all your HD movies and enjoy the best quality.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Play DVDs, music, photos, and videos on your PC.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Play audio files in various formats.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Listen to and record music from Internet radio and watch Intern...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Index your media files in a database.
- Convert many PC video formats to a DVD.
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Play audio files.
- Listen to audio files with light and simple audio player from t...
All versions:3.4 stars
out of 54 votes
Current version:2.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Could not load all music collection..."
Version: Kantaris Media Player 0.7.7
The one great visualizer
Does not create playlist nor load music collection. Webpage is down.
Version: Kantaris Media Player 0.7.7
The image produced while playing a video is almost high definition. My screen and graphics are good but not great so if you have better will see even better quality.
I could not find a way to play slower or faster on video controls.