CNET Editors' review
Matching puzzle games have become fairly ubiquitous, with a lot of themes employed to jazz up what is typically just the task of getting three or more jewels (or whatever) of the same color in a row and clearing them from the board. Jewel Quest 2 plants this popular puzzle format within some kind of seafaring adventure motif. We're not entirely clear what it is--the game's font is too small to be legible--but the puzzle itself remains the same addictive time-waster it always has been.
In order to play Jewel Quest 2, users must first download the Free Ride Player and then download the game. The player will also download three other games without asking permission and will add three icons to your desktop, which didn't exactly thrill us. Be prepared for plenty of advertising as well; first you'll have to watch a video ad before starting your game, and then the game will be surrounded by advertising as you play. The game itself is nice enough to look at, though the interface, even at full screen, was surprisingly small. This rendered all of the text in the game, including the instructions, extremely hard to read; we were able to play the game because we've played these types of puzzle games many times before, but we remain unclear about the details of the adventure story that is supposed to tie the various levels together. Gameplay is challenging; users must turn every square on the board gold by eliminating the jewels upon it, which is no easy task. Overall, we had fun playing Jewel Quest 2, but its strangely small interface and all of the advertising interfered with our enjoyment.
Jewel Quest 2 installs desktop icons without asking but uninstalls cleanly. We recommend this game with reservations.
From Free Ride Games:
In Jewel Quest 2 - the second installment of the popular Match Three game - we return to find Professor Rupert Pack devastated and heartbroken. The game begins with the revelation that after years of supporting him as he researched of the origins of the Jewel Board, Rupert's beloved Emma has left him for the wealthy and cavalier Sebastian Grenard. Inconsolable and searching for a serious distraction, Rupert sets his sights on the sea and joins the engine crew of a cargo ship en route to South Africa.
Follow the professor in Jewel Quest 2 on thrilling journey filled with adventure, love and betrayal across the world's richest continent! Skillfully evade the menacing Sebastian Grenard while unearthing precious gems, and behold the dangers of the safari, the history of the Zimbabwe ruins and the majesty of Victoria Falls along the way. As you progress through the game, you must rearrange precious relics to turn tiles into gold in order to advance through relentlessly challenging puzzles and 180 impressive levels. So how does Jewel Quest 2 end? Does Rupert ultimately find the grand jewel board? Does Emma come to her senses and apologize to Rupert? Do they both manage to escape Grenard's Revenge? Play the game and find out. Download Jewel Quest 2 now for free and enjoy: * 180 challenging puzzles and boards * Discover 9 new jewels and power-ups * A thrilling soundtrack, gorgeous dynamic African backdrops and animation
More Products to Consider
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Play online shooting hunting outdoors game with tournaments and...
- Place falling marbles into one place.
- Drive your truck across America and build your own business emp...
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Test and run DOS based games on a DOSBox graphical environment.
- Play an arcade aviation simulator dedicated to the events of WW...
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Download free games such as Road Attack from this extensive sel...
- Play 475 solitaire versions, from classics like Klondike to his...
- Play GTA:Vice City online or via LAN connection.
- Climb to the top of the tower, avoid your enemies, and ring the...
- Showcase various prizes on the screen.
- Track your golf games statistics.
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Play a free RPG indie game.
- Feed chickens, collect eggs and ship your goods off to market.
- Add new features to your Red Alert 2 game.
- Play 3d truck racing game.