CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the product page in the online Android Market. The application can directly be downloaded and installed on the registered Android device from your PC, or you can download it from the Android Market on your Android device.
CNET Editors' review
HexDefense by Gotow Creative Studios is an intense arcade-style tower defense game for Android that brings subtle but effective innovations to the genre. HexDefense differentiates itself from others like Retro Defense, Guns'n'Glory, and Robo Defense by using hexagonal tiles and status-inducing panels. This gives players strategic freedom to create more innovative paths of destruction when tackling enemy waves, but introduces new challenges as well.
Build towers by sliding one of four tower icons to a tile, or tap an existing structure to upgrade its attributes. HexDefense's hexagonal grid provides strategic options and flexibility by adding diagonal directions, but it also gives the computer additional routes by which to avoid the firestorm. Special-effect tiles appear in later maps to help or nerf enemy waves, including rocks that reduce creep speed and health tiles that regenerate enemy life. Figuring out how to force enemies into choke points or around effect tiles to rack up the most damage kept us busy and entertained.
HexDefense lacks fancy sprites or unit designs, but compensates by adding some fantastic particle explosions and lighting effects thanks to its OpenGL-based graphics. Destroying multiple enemies at once creates a fireworks-like spectacle that's dazzling for a few seconds, but causes slowdown. Luckily, Gotow provides an option to disable the effects and improve performance on slower phones. The sound effects were rich and vibrant, complementing the metallic, techno-industrial soundtrack. We recommend playing the game with a pair of headphones to experience the auditory explosions and the hard-hitting music.
HexDefense fails to distinguish between scores earned in Normal and Hard modes. The game automatically records the highest score taken from either difficulty, but at least more points are rewarded for killing enemies in Hard mode. HexDefense completely lacks any online presence or features: no online high scores, no OpenFeint achievements, and no additional modes outside of the two difficulties. The tutorial for the game was just a redirect to an information page on the developer's main site, which we found to be odd and inconsistent with the menu.
HexDefense offers a solid and polished single-player experience. At 15 levels with 20 waves, each map felt long enough to build up to a challenge but short enough to play in digestible doses. Despite the lack of features, the open-area map designs are still fun to play and the high scores offer enough replayability that the game merits purchase or download.
The Lite version has three maps with all 20 waves and is available in the Android Market.
From Hex Defense Team:
Navigate challenging levels, building and upgrading towers to create mazes that leave enemy creeps marching to their death! With explosive OpenGL-based graphics and 3D stereo sound, HexDefense brings the arcade intensity of tower defense to Android like never before. Watch creeps explode and rockets fly across the hexagonal playing field as you defend your home tile against wave after wave of attackers. The game is fast and intenseeasy to play, but very tough to master!This is the free version of HexDefense with three different levels. Grab the full version for seventeen unique and action-packed levels.FEATURES:- Classic 'Open Field' Tower Defense Gameplay- Stunning Graphics, Particle Effects and Animations- Fast, Arcade Action- Seven Types of Creeps, Including Four Boss Creeps with Special Powers!- Four Types of Towers with Four Upgrade Levels Each- High quality 3D Sound and Background Music- Auto-saves Game if You Press Home or Receive a Call- Easy to Play, Very Tough to Master!** HexDefense was designed to show off the outrageously powerful graphics chipsets in newer Android phones. If you have an older phone, the game may be laggy or even unplayable! You can lower the graphics quality by pressing the menu button from the app's home screen and unchecking "Intense Graphics" in the settings. Please don't rate the game poorly if it doesn't work on an older phone like the Hero! **Note: HexDefense does not work on the Motorola Atrix. We're trying to find out why stay tuned!Recent changes:Version 1.3.2 brings several small bug fixes:- Sound works properly on the DROID X - Blue shockwave towers do the same amount of damage in 'fast' mode- Check marks appear correctly beside levels when you beat level 20.Enjoy the update!Content rating: Everyone
What's new in this version: Version 1.3.2 brings several small bug fixes:- Sound works properly on the DROID X - Blue shockwave towers do the same amount of damage in 'fast' mode- Check marks appear correctly beside levels when you beat level 20.Enjoy the update!
More Products to Consider
- The sequel to the smash hit phenomenon that took the world by s...
- Play classic Nintendo platformer game on your Android device.
- View IPL 6 live score and schedule.
- Dr. Driving drives you crazy!.
- 4 Pics 1 Word - What's the word in common for 4 pictures?.
- Ride rippin' waves and dodge great whites in the best surfing g...
- One of the most addictive and entertaining physics based drivin...
- Think you have what it takes to adopt a POU? How will YOU custo...
- Trailblaze in this new standard for mobile racing game.
- Explosive Tower Defense!.
- This is a famous old game for children. Play Snake & Ladders ag...
- Turn your Android phone into a game controller for the best gam...
- Do you like driving big vehicles? Then you have to try Bus Simu...
- Play the most addictive physics-based car & bike racing game.Fe...
- This game will change your idea of Pinball on your Android phon...
- In a world of might and magic, are you strong enough to dominat...
- It's your move...
- COGSOUL now presents "STREET BASKETBALL HOOPS" real Street Game...
- Dungeon Lurk Adventures - A True Classic Point and Click Action...
- Logo Quiz is the #1 ranked Logo Guessing Game on Google Play.
- Bubble Blast Saint Patrick's Day Edition !.
- Realistic 3D Yatzy game with many features; play solo, pass'n p...
- Play a classic multi-directional shooter video game.
- Battle, block, and maneuver your way to stop the evil plans of ...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content