CNET Editors' review
As its name suggests, this program counts and ranks word frequencies in text files. The interface would have benefited from a splash of color and more eye-catching design, but the program performed as promised.
Hermetic Word Frequency Counter opens with an extremely plain interface. The main window was fairly straightforward. We loaded our text file using the program's browsing capability. Clicking the Set Parameters button opened a separate window that, at first glance, was pretty cluttered. But once our eyes adjusted, we were able to find our way around the interface. Here, you can select what words and characters you want to include in the count, as well as what words to ignore. We allowed apostrophes and hyphens, and chose to ignore words with fewer than three characters and more than 50 characters. Once we clicked the Count word frequencies button, our text file characters were broken down and ranked by frequency. The program also displayed the total number of words in the list, the number of words excluded, and the total number of words in the file.
The built-in Help feature doesn't offer much guidance; it merely describes what the program does. An online user manual offers a little more help should you need it. Hermetic Word Frequency Counter installs and uninstalls without any issues. The program claims that the output of results is limited during the trial, but we never came across limitations. If you're looking for a simple program for breaking down and ranking text files, this is the program for you.
From Hermetic Systems:
This software scans a text file (in this sense HTML and XML files are 'text' files) with text encoded via ANSI or UTF-8 and counts the frequencies of different words. The words which are found and displayed can be ordered alphabetically or by frequency. Characters which can appear in words can be specified, so the program can be told to allow or disallow words with numerals, hyphens, apostrophes, underscores or colons, to ignore words which are short or which occur infrequently, to treat upper/lower case as significant or not, and to ignore words (e.g., common words such as 'this') contained in a specified file. This software may be used with text in languages other than English, in particular, with French, German, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese text. Language of the text is detected automatically and the corresponding 'common words' file (with words to be ignored) is optionally loaded. Results can be written to an output file and can then be read into Excel for further processing. There is also an Advanced Version which does everything the standard version does, can count words matching certain patterns, and is able to scan not just one file but all files in a folder, and optionally in all subfolders, and to return a single report on the frequencies of words in all files scanned.
What's new in this version:
- fixed common words file not found on startup
- fixed bug in UTF-8 code processing
More Products to Consider
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Provide split screen outlining editor with whole or part docume...
- Get a comprehensive library of 4500 sample business letters and...
- Improve your court reporting skills.
- Prepare any business documents from 6000 professionally written...
- Identify over 400 languages used in a phrase or text.
- Convert English sentences to Hindi and vice-versa.
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Create, sort, and export vocabulary lists to HTML.
- Find the exact word or rhyme scheme you're looking for.
- Correct Spanish texts you write and enrich your vocabulary.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Find each word's frequency in HTML and text files.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Perform a word count of any file or program.
- Count word frequencies on your documents.
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Convert English sentences into Russian and vice-versa.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Wonderful utility for ?word people;? updated regularly"
Version: Hermetic Word Frequency Counter 10.15
I love the attention to detail; there are so many different options to make it do what I want. It's solid, fast, and doesn't crash. It seems that the developer actually cares about this software.
Hard to say. The developer has added a bunch of features specifically because I requested them.
I'm a mad tweaker. (No, not that kind.) I love to mess around with settings until I get things just right, which I can do with this software. I actually get excited when I start it up. Load up my personal file of words that I don't need counted, and then load in the text I want analyzed. In seconds, I get a sortable list that shows me the most frequently-occurring words. Ever wonder wanted to generate a word list for a book? Just head over to Gutenberg or Wikisource, find a public-domain book, and load it all up. You can set this program up to create word lists like that.Be sure to check out the Advanced version (Hermetic Word Frequency Counter Advanced) of this software if you want to be able to scan entire folders rather than just single files. This is helpful if you want to scan a lot of files at once.
Best of all, the developer, Peter, actually responds to email quickly and intelligently and continues to develop this software. In other words, it's not a dead project, nor is it just some sloppily-coded software thrown together to make a quick buck on download.com.
Updated on Oct 21, 2010