CNET Editors' note: The Download Now link will direct you to a form on the developer's site that you must fill out before downloading the app. Note that the application ranges from 700KB to 1MB depending on your BlackBerry model.
CNET Editors' review
Let's face it. Unless you're rocking a touch-screen BlackBerry, you just don't have the real estate for the gargantuan app you would need to really appreciate Facebook. If you've ever seen Facebook on an iPhone, you'd see where you'd miss out with a hugely interactive interface, smooth swiping, pinch and zoom photos, and so on. Yet Facebook and RIM have made the best of it with this app. The newsfeed includes a status bar for your immediate updates, and tiny thumbnail photos smaller than your fingernail. You can sort the feed by news, updates, photos, and links, but you'll wait each time for the page to load anew. You'll also wait for a reload if you'd like to travel farther down the timeline.
There's commenting, liking, poking, writing on a friend's wall, and viewing your message in-box and friends. While the photo uploader makes it handy to scroll through your image collection, you can't upload videos from your BlackBerry. You're able to invite a friend via e-mail, but not search Facebook's site for pals who have already joined.
The app makes up for this in part with some integration into the BlackBerry environment. You can mash contacts (and their itty-bitty profile pictures) into your address book, and trigger a wall or private message or a poke from there. Facebook events might also wind up in your calendar, like birthday reminders. You'll also receive notifications of new Facebook messages if you've configured the app for that. While there's plenty of room for improvement, using Facebook for BlackBerry is the only tenable choice.Facebook for BlackBerry:
From Research In Motion:
Download this free application today and take connecting with your friends to a whole new level. With Facebook for BlackBerry smartphones, you have wireless access to: Home screen notifications so you know right away when you have a new Facebook event like a wall post, message or poke; The full text of new messages or wall posts, new photo tags and friend requests. Plus send your own messages, wall posts, pokes and friend requests; Your Facebook status and the Facebook status of your friends. You can also integrate your friends into the BlackBerry's address book, and your calendar dates, like friends' birthdays, into your native BlackBerry calendar.
What's new in this version: Version 1.9 adds Facebook Places and improvements to Search, especially for BlackBerry OS 6.
More Products to Consider
- Turns your Symbian mobile phone into a universal remote control...
- Control and access PC desktop from mobile phone.
- Connect your Nokia Series 60 phone to Wi-Fi hotspots and home n...
- View, edit and create Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files on your...
- Make and receive Skype calls on your mobile device.
- Share your 3G connection over Wifi.
- Connect your Windows Mobile device to Wi-Fi hotspots and home n...
- Chat with other Skypers, call any land line or mobile phone, se...
- Manage files of any OBEX ready device supporting file transfer ...
- Access Facebook and Twitter plus Browse, search, widgets and wa...
- Connect to your desktop through the Java or Symbian mobile phon...
- Move stones/seeds from cups on game board or holes in the groun...
- Recolorize trackball on your BlackBerry Pearl.
- Create multimedia geolocation points.
- Record voice notes and send them via e-mail using your BlackBer...
- Add a dictionary with definitions and coverage of world, region...
- Search Wikipedia from the BlackBerry homescreen.
- Send and receive messages, status updates, and photos from your...
- Speak into your phone to place calls, search the Web, and updat...
- Get access to your favorite coupons and discount offers from yo...
- Create short cuts to any Web site on your BlackBerry.
- Host a small footprint VNC server on your Windows CE based devi...
- Provide a virtual credit card terminal application for BlackBer...
- Browse the Web on your BlackBerry device.
All versions:3.4 stars
out of 12 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Not my favorite app, not my least favorite either"
Version: Facebook for BlackBerry 1.9
The Facebook app allows you to upload photos directly to Facebook from your phone. It also allows you to integrate your phone book with Facebook, which means profile photos for everyone in your phone book and the easy ability to post on their wall.
This app drains my battery. I use my phone a lot -- lots of phone calls, two e-mail accounts, Twitter, etc. But when the Facebook app is on, my phone is pretty much guaranteed to die. Plus, there have been several times when the Facebook app froze.
I wouldn't say "Don't download this app," but I wouldn't suggest using it frequently. I suggest using the Facebook app for uploading photos and then using your Internet browser to access Facebook to interact with friends, etc.