CNET Editors' review
Functional and useful, Evernote goes beyond its architecture and is also interesting. It's a true three-platform play: it works very well, and somewhat differently, on desktop computers, mobile phones, and over the Web. Evernote is a good note-taking application. If you have the Evernote application running on your camera phone, it will automatically upload your snapshots to the Evernote server, creating a useful archive of them. But the killer feature is that it also does OCR on your images so you can find them later by searching for text in them. Use this tool to snap pictures of products you see in stores and want to remember, to grab whiteboards in meetings, and to take pictures of people with name tags at conferences. It's one of those utilities that might just change your life.
Everything you do on your phone and on your computer gets synchronized to your Evernote account on the Web. Since it synchronizes as soon as you log on, and regularly thereafter, reinstalling the software or losing data because of a crash are nonfatal problems. Do note that the Web-based text editor isn't keystroke compatible with the PC-based editor. It makes switching between the two experiences confusing. The free version offers 40MB per month for uploading and unpredictable OCR performance, while $45 a year gets you a 500MB a month allowance, priority OCR, better security features, and support.Watch the CNET video review of Evernote:
Evernote allows you to easily capture information in any environment using whatever device or platform you find most convenient, and makes this information accessible and searchable at any time, from anywhere. Use Evernote to jot notes, create to-do lists, clip entire Web pages, manage passwords, and record audio. Everything added to Evernote is automatically synchronized across platforms and devices and made searchable. Evernote will even recognize printed or handwritten text in photos and images. Evernote offers two account levels, free and premium. Free users have access to all the tools, recognition, and synchronization, but are limited to a 40MB monthly upload allowance. Premium accounts receive 500MB monthly upload allowances, SSL security, priority image recognition, and premium support.
Version 188.8.131.528 has improve loading time for notebooks with long PDFs and synchronization support for environments with a misconfigured SSL proxy or firewall.
What's new in this version: Version 184.108.40.2068 has improve loading time for notebooks with long PDFs and synchronization support for environments with a misconfigured SSL proxy or firewall.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in MS Word and...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
This download is served from an external siteclose
NOTICE: This link will open a connection to a third-party site. CNET cannot ensure the security of software that is hosted on external sites.Sponsored Products
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark websites, send/receive notes, se...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create and manage personal todo list and shared task list for y...
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Track your important events and get reminders of them.
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Schedule programs, scripts, and other tasks to start automatica...
- Create and organize sticky notes and reminders on your desktop.
- Use the information provided easier, using less time.
- Calculate your auto loan using variable rates, taxes, and other...
- Incorporate images and formatted text into your daily diary.
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 155 votes
Current version:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Incredible cross-platform synchronized note-taking tool"
Version: Evernote 220.127.116.118
The killer feature is that the application is synchronized across mulitple platforms - This is only serious note-taking tool that will work equally well on a Windows machine, a Mac, an iPhone or Windows Mobile. No one else is doing this.
The only things I can think of that I would like to change or see done different:
1. I'd like it to run on Macs older than 10.5... I have 10.4 at home and I can't use it there.
2. I'd a little beefier support for tasks and how those are handled.
I really enjoying using the application, and these folks have done something that no other company has done to date; create a solid cross-platform application that synchronizes across mulitple platforms, as well as supplying a free version to boot. The application really is in a class of it's own because of these things... now I wish I could run it on my old Mac at home too.
"Great general purpose tool for work and play"
Version: Evernote 18.104.22.1688
This is a really good web clipping application - I wish I had this around the last 10 years. I've been using it for about 3 months now and find it to be a pleasure. It's ability to keep multiple file formats is great and I like the storage capacity.
Needs to have the ability to render web pages more as they appear in your browser.
Great app for saving a wide variety of stuff and great at sycing across multiple computers. Love it
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content