CNET Editors' review
A static desktop image, although pretty, often loses its luster in a short time. EarthDesk, with multiple, real-time updated views of Earth, presents the perfect replacement for the stale, static image on your screen. In addition to the stunning views of Earth, the program features numerous options for configuring map images, giving you complete control over the maps on your screen. We like the variety of views and 3D renderings of the globe as seen from space. Maps also can be centered on a particular city. You can watch as the map remains stationary while the sun and moon move about your home location as the center point, for example. EarthDesk's customization options and ease of use make it not only educational, but fun for anyone with an interest in our planet.
From Xeric Design:
EarthDesk replaces your desktop picture with a high-resolution image of Earth, complete with accurate current lighting conditions (sun, moon, city lights, and real-time clouds). This image will change throughout the day to reflect the movement of the sun, moon, and clouds in real time. Tons of features like city lights at night, zoom capabilities, and political and satellite maps make this a top-notch earth viewer.
What's new in this version: Changes to support single or "all spaces" under Lion (OS X 10.7).
More Products to Consider
- Enjoy flight over ocean in cinematic 3D environment.
- Animate your desktop with water effects.
- Place video wallpapers on your desktop.
- Create a screensaver with images, sounds, movies, Flash, web si...
- Customize your wallpapers and screensavers with pictures and vi...
- Bring realistic coral reef aquarium to your PC screen.
- Emulates the Matrix code and introduction sequence.
- Disply a virtual aquarium with unsurpassed realism.
- Set your desktop virtually on fire.
- Watch weather just like the view from the window.
- Change the desktop wallpaper automatically, position pictures t...
- Customize your bootup screen with your own images.
- Animate your desktop with the beautiful 3d space scenes.
- See a glowing digital clock that appears when your computer is ...
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- View celebratory dance 3D snowflakes on your desktop.
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Create and edit your own screensavers or convert SWF files to s...
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- View our planet in 3D and get references on countries and citie...
All versions:3.3 stars
out of 26 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Watch out for subscription fees!"
Version: EarthDesk 5.7.3
Beautiful desktop in high resolution
Until very recently, clouds were displayed in HD, but they are now in SD and it look terrible. Apparently the person that used to make the HD clouds for free now wants to be paid, and Xeric plan to charge you $12 per year for the clouds.
Expect to pay much more than the advertised $25 for this product.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content