CNET Editors' review
Dock Restarter is designed to perform a single, much-needed function for OSX users, hard restarting your dock if a problem develops. While not a common problem, it happens often enough to be frustrating for users with older Macs, or those who run multiple apps at a time. Whether due to too many apps opening or because of a performance issue in the OS, pending an update for a specific app, a dock freeze can take seconds or minutes to clear. This app fixes that.
Dock Restarter opens from a DMG and requires the usual security override to get running in Mountain Lion. For this reason, it is a little frustrating to set up, but once running, it runs smoothly. Just open the app in the DMG and it will automatically restart your dock for you. The screen will flash and all of your apps will disappear for a split second before returning. If there are no problems, you won't notice anything other than the restart animation. If there is a problem, it should reset and stop the problem, potentially force-quitting the app that is causing it.
While there are other ways to get around a dock freeze, including force quitting, Finder or whichever app is causing the freeze up, Dock Restarter is a nicer, faster, and not quite as intense option for shutting down the dock without shutting down the apps in it. If you have frequent dock freezes and are tired of waiting or shutting down to get past it, download this free app -- it works well for what it promises.
DockRestarter is a handy AppleScript that relaunches the Mac OS X Dock when it freezes. You can use DockRestarter as a standalone application or as an AppleScript menu item. The Script Menu Item Installer will activate the Script menu in the menu bar and install the DockRestarter AppleScript in the folder "Dock Scripts".
What's new in this version: Added: Support for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
Revised: Corrected file permissions (Script Menu Item Installer)
More Products to Consider
- Conceal your IP address on the web.
- Get pop-up notifications for iTunes track changes, new email, a...
- Monitor widget: cpu, memory, bandwidth, drive, fans, temps...
- Control fans of your intel mac to cool it down, monitor temp.
- Remove unwanted language resources from OS X and installed apps...
- Adds AirPrint support to many third-party printers.
- Command-line utility to expand RAR archives.
- Control your MacBook's fans.
- Access hidden preferences settings.
- Extend the Dock and get window previews whenever you hover your...
- Widget displays Amazon's lightning deals.
- AutoCAD (dwg & dxf) & eDrawings viewer.
- Make the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of ...
- Spelling & pronunciation widget dictionary.
- Keyboard tool that lets you "click" buttons and control your ap...
- Enable/disable Mail accounts.
- Executes a list of programs after a time delay.
- Forces windows to go full screen when you click the green orb b...
- Get an Dashboard styled clock for your Mac OS X Dashboard.
- AppleScripts for manipulating clipboard text.
- Get an Office Clock styled widget for your Mac OS X Dashboard.
- Add some extras to AppleScript for OS 8.6.
- Count down the seconds to any event right on your dashboard.
- Takes your Apple Remote further.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: