CNET Editors' review
As a versatile virtual desktop generator, Dexpot Portable helps the user separate work from personal applications. While the download is easy and no installation is needed, setting up the program is rather arduous at first.
Dexpot Portable impresses with its wide array of flexible controls. This program allows you to initiate up to 20 virtual desktops. For computers with multiple users, this can help separate one user from the other without needing to go through the bother of switching between users. For a single user, this can help separate any personal work you are doing from business applications. A quick hot key combination of Alt and window number switches to that particular window. The only problem with this freely available program is that until you try a few things, you are unaware of how to use the program since it silently sits in the application tray. Right-clicking the program will pop up a menu that allows you to choose a variety of options and controls. There are also various plug-ins that can be installed as needed. For example, a grid view of all of the desktops is available, a slideshow that transitions from desktop to desktop at a predetermined time, and a wallpaper clock that allows the user to show a unique time on each desktop are a few of the available additions. Transition from desktop to desktop is as smooth as switching from window to window. Applications work seamlessly in each desktop instance and do not seem to affect the overall performance of the computer.
Once you get past the initial problem of determining how to control the program, Dexpot Portable is very easy and intuitive to use. A novice may be initially confused, but will learn the ins and outs of the program quickly. Advanced users will love the speed and ease with which they can use different desktops and will also enjoy the ability to separate work and pleasure.
Dexpot Portable turns your monitor into up to 20 monitor workspaces. Dexpot creates additional workspaces you can quickly switch between. Take, for example, Desktop 1 to listen to your favorite music, surf the web on Desktop 2, use Desktop 3 to handle your daily word processing or switch to Desktop 4 for a game of Solitaire.Different icons, wallpapers, start-ups, and much more can be configured for each desktop.
What's new in this version: Version 1.6.9 Build 2285 has updated Russian language file and now mouse switching follows the Dexgrid rows and columns layout.
More Products to Consider
- Create and control virtual desktops.
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Wake up to this alarm clock that has a different alarm for each...
- Access various TV channels on the Web.
- Virtual desktop.
- Get a virtual ruler utility for your desktop.
- Enhance Justin.TV with new features.
- Create and stick electronic notes on your Windows desktop.
- Christmas desktop wallpapers.
- Gain access to online television directly from IE toolbar.
- Three desktop wallpapers.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content