CNET Editors' review
The Windows desktop can be a fairly ordinary place, no matter what kind of background or wallpaper you use. The problem is right in front of you: boring rows of shortcuts. You can sort them by name, date, and type, if that's your idea of a good time, but that's about it. But then we downloaded Onekit's Desktop Modify. This simple freeware lets you arrange your desktop icons in a wide range of shapes, including circles, stars, crosses, and many more. There are up to 77 shapes in five categories: Basic Shapes, Christmas, Nature, Objects, and Others. You can customize the size and placement of the shapes, including the distance between icons. You can save your custom layouts, too. Desktop Modify is compatible with Windows 98 to 8, including 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
Desktop Modify's simple, dialog-style interface collects everything you need in one compact space, including a scrolling Shapes menu and a variety of sliders and arrows for customizing the layout. We started simple with a Five-Pointed Star and pressed Fit Shape to Screen. Desktop Modify rearranged our icons into a new shape. Unfortunately, it bore no resemblance to a star. According to the Help file, you need 10 or more icons to render shapes. We had 32, so no issues there. It turns out you must disable Auto Align and Align to Grid in your desktop options. We did, and Desktop Modify rearranged our icons into a somewhat flattened star that we easily fine-tuned with the program's positioning tools. We could also simply drag icons into position. In fact, one of the coolest things about Desktop Modify is the ability to create your own shapes and save the layout. But with so many ready-made shapes to choose from, there's something for nearly every user.
Desktop Modify proved easy enough to use, once we'd sorted out our desktop settings. We'd like to see a more explicit notification, since features like Auto-arrange have become very popular, but we're glad the program didn't simply change our settings on its own. All in all, Desktop Modify is well worth a look since it makes your desktop well worth looking at!
From Onekit Internet:
Shape your Desktop. Desktop Modify is a great little free program that cheers up your desktop making it cute and unique by arranging your icons into different shapes and styles. There are 77 shapes available grouped in 5 categories: Basic Shapes, Christmas, Nature, Objects and Others. You can also manage multiple layouts and set a different description for each one. Positions of your icons on the desktop can be saved and restored with just one click. You can manage multiple layouts and set a different description for each one.
What's new in this version: Better performance with Windows 8 (32-bits and 64-bits).
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Switch among many virtual desktops.
- View plane landing on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Display a special effects screensaver on your desktop.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows user interface.
- Enjoy this screensaver with scenic sites and pleasant music.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Watch snowflakes falling on your desktop.
- Play desktop game of columns.
- Create applications that interact with connected Windows CE, Po...
- Display your daily horoscope.
- Create and stick electronic notes on your Windows desktop.
- Display lovely flowers on your desktop screen.
- Decorate your desktop with images of clouds and landscapes.
- Wake up/remember important event to your favorite songs.
- Get fast access to the 27 programs you use most.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"very nice and free"
Version: Desktop Modify 1.03
after my experience with my_cool_desktop I went directly the publisher website..
downloaded and installed without too much trouble.
free as stated
looks good too
dried to install a browser bar but expected in freeware.
the screenshot is the same as my_cool_desktop and probably the same program but this is free and installed properly
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content