CNET Editors' review
Some folks would rather not finish a crossword puzzle than look up the answer; to them, it researching an answer feels like cheating. For those who like to learn new words and don't see anything wrong with a little assistance, there's Cross+A, a feature-packed application that can help you solve just about any kind of puzzle.
Cross+A's interface is plain and somewhat utilitarian, with its 158,000-entry word list displayed in the main pane. Small icons across the top give users access to each of the program's many features. We can't even begin to list all the ways that Cross+A offers assistance. The basic crossword search lets users enter the number of letters in a word and the known letters, and Cross+A will return a list of possible matches. But that's just the beginning. The program offers description, pattern, and syllable searches, as well has help with Sudoku, Kakuro, and Hitori. Ever wonder if the digits in your phone number spell out a word? Cross+A can even tell you that! There's a fairly detailed Help file and an overview of different puzzle types. Everything seemed to work as described, too. Hardcore puzzlers will find Cross+A to be a valuable resource -- provided they're not too proud to use it!
Cross+A is free to try, but some features are disabled in the trial version. The program comes as a zip file but installs and uninstalls without issues. We recommend this program to all users.
From Sergey Kutasov:
Cross+A makes you to simplify the solution of crosswords, word-based puzzles, monograms, and Sudoku's. Cross+A provides very flexible search tools. User can search English words by known letters and descriptions as well as find anagrams and word-combinations.
This is a multilingual version of the popular Russian program Cross+A by Sergey Kutasov and Ilya Morozov. It uses a dictionary of 158000 English words (part of them with descriptions). User can add new words, delete and change descriptions or copy them to the clipboard. Cross+A also includes the list of English proverbs, sayings and the list of English synonyms and antonyms.
What's new in this version: Version 8.26 has added solving and creating of Digital Battleships, Lighthouse Battleship, and improved solving and creating of Battleships, Minesweeper Battleships.
More Products to Consider
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Design your own word search puzzles and play them right away.
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Create, print, export, and upload word search puzzles to your W...
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Search and trace your documents.
- Drive your truck across America and build your own business emp...
- Make your own crossword puzzles, word searches, and sudoku puzz...
- Search words by known letters for solving crosswords.
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Search for words in a puzzle.
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Compile crossword puzzles for publication in print form or on t...
- Play GTA:Vice City online or via LAN connection.
- Find answers to your word puzzles.
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Construct required words to save infected daisies.
- Add new features to your Red Alert 2 game.
- Create as many words as possible from various letter combinatio...
- Create and print your own word search puzzles.