CNET Editors' review
We have to admit that we were not at all looking forward to reviewing Cockroach on Desktop. We reviewed Drive Software's Fly on Desktop not too long ago and found it to be quite realistic, and we were not thrilled about the idea of having lifelike cockroaches crawling across our screen. Cockroach on Desktop delivered, though, whether we wanted it to or not. If you're looking for a way to gross out your colleagues or family members, this program is a winner.
Cockroach on Desktop appears as a small icon in the system tray, and right-clicking it gives users access to its settings. The program can display between one and 99 cockroaches on startup, and the menu also lets users add roaches to the screen one or five at a time. The roaches come in two styles: one slightly fatter and with different markings than the other, maximizing the realistic ickiness of the bugs. The lifelike movement of the roaches' legs is especially irksome, and we have no doubt that anyone who was caught off guard by this program would be duly horrified. Even though we were prepared for it and knew it wasn't real, Cockroach on Desktop still made our skin crawl. We think Cockroach on Desktop is a great choice for practical jokesters or anyone with a creepy sense of humor.
Cockroach on Desktop comes as a ZIP file. It installs and uninstalls without issues.
From Drive Software:
When you see one of these cockroaches on the screen, they look very real. They even walk around the same way real cockroaches do. You can make beautiful laughter, if you like these types of jokes. You can manage all cockroach settings from system tray cockroach icon where you can enable it for startup, add more cockroach on desktop and exit option also. Application use less system resources so you can use it without think about system speed worry. Please try it...
What's new in this version: Bug fix.
More Products to Consider
- Create ladybugs on your desktop.
- Simulate the behavior of a fly on your desktop.
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Watch as two transparent eyes follow your mouse cursor as it mo...
- Get a realistic fly for your desktop that fully simulates the b...
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Download an interactive cartoon girl who lives and plays on you...
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Blend pictures and create a pretty composition of two images.
- Set fish swimming on your desktop.
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Watch the little ants moving over your desktop.
- Set colliding sprites on your desktop.
- Watch water dropping on your screen.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Decorate your desktop with the lovely pets.
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Hide desktop icons so you can see more of your desktop backgrou...
- Make many funny but useful things for your desktop icons.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Will not uninstall!!!"
Version: Cockroach on Desktop 1.1
Fun for a while
Resource hog on older machines.
I installed this thinking it would be fun for Halloween. After playing around with it for a while I decided it was a too much of a resource hog on my old XP machine. I used the wizard to uninstall the software, or I should say try to uninstall. It will not go away! After several attempts is still listed in programs, a desktop shortcut icon, and an icon in the taskbar. I finally had to stop the software from starting in the System Configuration Utility. What a hassle!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content