CNET Editors' review
Buddi is a finance management program that's poised with potential. Open source and free, it offers a cross-platform, extensible experience wrapped up in a simple tabbed interface. As they say in the money biz, it looks great on paper.
The app can create new accounts from four credit types--cash, checking, investment, and savings--and five debit types--credit card, liability, line of credit, loan, and prepaid account. People can create their own account types, too, and take brief notes on an account. Strangely, the notes don't seem to surface anywhere. Under the My Budget tab, you can add transactions under different default categories such as Salary, Auto, and Misc. Expenses, or you can create your own. To enter a new transaction, double-click on the account or budget category under which it has occurred. From there, preexisting accounts and transaction titles have automatically been added to the drop-down menus to accelerate the new transaction creation process. Buddi generates reports and pie charts on command by income, average income, expenses, and net worth.
This is a good start in terms of features, but the execution leaves much room for improvement. There's no context menu support, no drag-and-drop support, and the forced need to jump between tabs to see how expenses and income relates to specific accounts feels antiquated compared to newer financial management programs and Web sites. While we appreciate that Buddi supports plug-ins, including ones that provide CSV and QIF import and export, there's no native account importation or synchronization. Buddi's interface doesn't facilitate an intuitive-enough work flow to cut down on the immense effort that the lack of syncing will mandate from users.
From Wyatt Olson:
Buddi is a personal finance and budgeting program, aimed at those who have little or no financial background. In making this software, I have attempted to make things as simple as possible, while still retaining enough functions to satisfy most home users. Buddi includes the ability to create a budget, record transactions, and view reports on how well you are keeping to your budget.
Version 220.127.116.11 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
What's new in this version: Version 18.104.22.168 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Create and organize sticky notes and reminders on your desktop.
- Incorporate images and formatted text into your daily diary.
- Manage your mobile phone through a PC.
- Create spreadsheets, analyze and share information.
- Recover lost and forgotten passwords from password protected VB...
- Open over 100 different file extensions including DOCX, PPTX an...
- Create and format spreadsheets, analyze and share information t...
- Calculate federal payroll for up to 30 employees.
- Organize your schedule and provide reminders of upcoming events...
- Convert Excel XLS files to XLSX and XLSX files to XLS.
- Create, manage, and share spreadsheets.
- Read and sort CSV files.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Don't bother download"
Version: Buddi 22.214.171.124
Please enter at least 10 chjaracters? What the...
Not worht a penny, maybe for free. User UNfriendly interface, opens up too many windows; silly structure, looks like old VisualBasic programs from the WIn95 days.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content