CNET Editors' review
Mac users have several good choices available when it comes to bibliography-management applications. Bookends is among the best, and its trial version certainly merits a look from anyone who spends much time working with large numbers of academic and technical citations. This app makes it easy to search for, download, and organize reference materials, as well as quickly create tightly formatted bibliographies in a variety of word processors--including excellent integration with Mellel and Word 2008.
You can search across and save documents from any standard source, from PubMed, JSTOR, and the Library of Congress to Amazon, Google Scholar, and even any individual institutions to which you have access, and Bookends can even import journal articles into existing bibliographies. The interface is not particularly attractive but it's hard-working and fairly customizable, with many different options for ordering, labeling, and groups. Bookends' styled virtual note cards can be a big help when you need to annotate your references, and its new features like tag clouds and metatypes can be invaluable in organizing and navigating your documents.
With a built-in HTTP server and good third-party app and database integration, Bookends is also a good choice for collaboration, even with users using other reference-management applications. There's a lot of competition in this category, and Bookends has only gotten better in recent versions.
From Sonny Software:
Bookends is a full featured and cost-effective bibliography/reference and information management system for students and professionals. With Bookends you can easily import references (information about journal articles, books, etc.) from EndNote, and directly search and import from PubMed, the Web of Science, Google Scholar, JSTOR, Amazon, the Library of Congress, and hundreds of other online sources. Use a built-in browser to download references with pdfs or and/or web pages with a click. Automatic searches of PubMed let you discover articles as soon as they are published. Powerful group-based searches, with static, smart, and virtual groups. Live Search lets you further refine searches as you type. Annotate your database with reference cross-linking with defined relationships and comments. Attach any file (such as a pdf) to a reference and view or open it instantly. There are options to automatically download, rename and organize pdf files on-the-fly from the Internet (requires access permission) or from your hard drive. Scan your word processor files and automatically generate finished manuscripts with properly formatted bibliographies. Access the power of Bookends directly from MS Word (including Word 2008), Mellel, and Nisus Writer Pro. Scan Pages '08 and '09 files and OpenOffice 3 files, or RTF files saved from any word processor. Share your references over the Internet with anyone, on any platform (you, but not people who access your databases, must have a broadband connection).
What's new in this version:
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub eBooks.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Manage all aspects of a high school student administrative syst...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- Convert Kindle Mobi, AZW, PRC books to ePUB format to read Kind...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Display Quran in Uthmani script with many options and settings ...
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Calculate body mass index for women.
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Calculate your BMI using a chart.
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Provide fully featured scientific calculator with convert fract...
This download is served from an external siteclose
NOTICE: This link will open a connection to a third-party site. CNET cannot ensure the security of software that is hosted on external sites.Sponsored Products
- Calculate body mass index for men.
- Explore and learn English from Longman English Dictionary on yo...
All versions:4.8 stars
out of 38 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Excellent customer support for a great program"
Version: Bookends 11.2.8
I've received outstanding and prompt customer support from Sonny Software. Can't ask for anything better than that.
Only minor gripe I have is that there are fewer options and formats for reference entry and formatting than RefWorks. I could probably customize the fields but have not done that -- yet -- have not needed to do it.
All in all an excellent program with super customer support. I'll happily live with the minor glitches, they don't get in the way of doing what I need.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content