CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the Android Market where you must continue the download process. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
It may not beat Photoshop, but Aviary is still one of the most comprehensive photo editors available for Android. What's more, it's incredibly simple to use.
From the get-go, Aviary makes it simple to edit your photos, as it opens up directly to a carousel of all the saved images on your device. From here, you can swipe through your photos straight away or go to your photo gallery and make your selection that way. Otherwise, the app also gives you the option to take a new photo to import into the editor.
Once you make your selection, hit Edit this Photo to bring up a navigation bar with all of Aviary's functions. Along the bottom of the screen, you'll see tons of options, from basics like Crop and Brightness to more-complicated functions like Redeye and Blemish reduction tools.
First on Aviary's feature list is Enhance, which offers an automatic photo enhancer, as well as Night, Backlit, and Color Balance tools. Also available are all of your basic editing tools that let you change orientation, crop, adjust brightness, warmth, contrast, saturation, and sharpness. All of these adjustments are made with either a simple one-tap command or by swiping a fine-tuning dial. It's all really intuitive.
And then, of course, there are the filters and stickers. Filters (or Effects, as Aviary calls them) are very much like what you might find on Instagram. You get 12 for free, but can purchase additional packs of six for 99 cents each. Stickers are movable and resizable graphics that you can use to add some fun to your photos. They come free.
More than just a basics wiz, though, Aviary also offers annotations and more-advanced photo-editing functions. The annotations include a drawing tool, text, and meme-style text editor. The meme tool works well, but the text editor and drawing tool are a little thin on the customization options. For instance, there is no stylized text available and the drawing tool only offers a single brush type. Meanwhile, the Redeye, Whiten (for teeth), and Blemish tools all work surprisingly well. To use them, you simply adjust the diameter of your brush, then swipe across the area you want to adjust.
Overall, Aviary is an incredibly well-rounded photo-editing app for Android. While some of its tools may need a bit more power, I still think its overwhelming number of useful features make it a worthwhile download.
Aviary Photo Editor is a powerful photo editor which we created because we wanted a quick and easy way to edit our photos on the go with no fuss. It features one-tap auto enhance, 12 free photo effects, fun stickers, and color balance. You can enhance your pictures through crop and rotate, adjust brightness, contrast, color temperature, saturation, sharpen and blur, color temperature, draw and add text, and create your own memes. It also has cosmetic tools to fix redeye, remove blemishes, and whiten teeth.
What's new in this version:
More Products to Consider
- InstaCollage is wonderful Collage Making, Photo Editing and Pho...
- PhotoFunia is a photo editing tool that gives you a fun filled ...
- Convert your photos collection into amazing collages.
- Camera360:Art in Your Hand.
- Awesome PicsArt Studio!.
- Wrap frames and scenery around your photos, or add whimsical ef...
- More than 600 effects, overlays, and borders to personalize any...
- Edit and share photos virtually anywhere. Access them all on Ph...
- Correct and enhance photos form all possible angles.
- Allow you to share your photos on Android device.
- The best camera application for portraits, 'Cymera'.
- Take beautiful photos, enhance with filters, and share your lif...
- Photoshop express, Image editor, photofunia, sketch, reflection...
- A free app that helps you communicate visually with friends, co...
- Troll your friends! Create rage faced photos and share created ...
- Add film and camera effects to the photos you take on your Andr...
- Enhance your photos and quickly share them with your friends.
- Now the Best Mobile Photo App of 2012 (TIPA) and iPad App of th...
- Design your timeline in new creative ways.
- Create the craziest ever looking faces! Create funny faces from...
- Add film and retouch effects to your photos.
- Turn your pictures into fun social events! Bronze, Grayscale, I...
- Create cool photo montages and apply fun photo frames & effects...
- Simple camera app fantastic for capturing action and movement.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content