CNET Editors' review
What's up with docks? For starters, they're handy little apps that launch other applications via shortcuts, typically from a centralized, customizable desktop menu. You "dock" your favorite programs, Web sites, documents, or anything that can be opened with a shortcut to the app, and launch them quickly from it. Appetizer is a neat little dock from Pogopixels, a developer that specializes in widgets and desktop gadgets. We looked at the installed version, but it's also available in a totally portable version that automatically detects apps even when run from a USB drive.
Appetizer's fully customizable and skinnable interface is fairly typical of the class, with adjustable transparency and background colors; options like always-on-top, auto-hide, and launch on startup; and the ability to handle plug-ins. Appetizer's control panel toggles open and closed, and the only other control on the interface other than a Close Program "X" is a small Eject Drive arrow, which will eject DVDs and removable disk drives. In addition to Add and Import Shortcuts and Options buttons, the program's console also offers a configurable Multilaunch button that can launch several apps simultaneously, a potential time-saver for daily chores. Appetizer can automatically import shortcuts from your Start Menu, desktop, or anywhere in your system, or you can add them manually, a process we preferred since it let us select just a few important items rather than duplicating our Start Menu in a widget. We quickly added a small selection of our most frequently accessed items to Appetizer's main view, and each performed exactly as it should when clicked.
Appetizer's options for configuring how the program looks and behaves let us set the appearance, transparency, size, orientation, and position of our dock and save it. It proved to be an unobtrusive but quickly accessible placeholder for stuff we need all the time. It's a testament to the usefulness of docks like Appetizer that newer versions of Windows offer some of the same functionality via widgets, gadgets, and other enhancements. Appetizer's combination of features makes it hard to beat, though.
Appetizer is a free application launcher, or dock, for Windows. It allows launching and organizing your applications and other shortcuts into a convenient dock. The application is skinable and entirely customizable via plug-ins and skins. It is currently available in 12 different languages. The application is designed up front to be portable and lightweight so that it can be carried around on a USB stick, and be used as a launcher.
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Create tabs and drag and drop files to assign them to the hotke...
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Make your applications fully skinnable.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Add KDE look to your Opera browser.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Launch files and applications easily.
- Launch your programs with a single-click.
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Create scalable icons for your computer.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Organize and manage program icons on your Windows desktop.
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Launch applications, view pictures, and convert your icons into...
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Mark e-mail as read or remove Outlook's New Mail notification i...
- Launch virtually any program from the taskbar.
- Decorate your PC with a simple red and silver theme.
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Launch your applications easily.
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Excellent software to launch program and other things."
Version: Appetizer 1.4.7 build 508
When you start the first time asks what folder or what links import
You can import the other and you can erase what we have previously imported.
When you close the tray and go from there you can raise and remains on the screen.
Nothing at this moment.
A variety of options - different skins imported. Excellent.
I recommend this portable program to all users.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content