CNET Editors' reviewEven in this day of downloadable software, some programs still require a CD or DVD to stay in the disk drive whenever they're being used. Alcohol 52%, like other disc-emulation utilities, helps create or "mount" a virtual disc drive, allowing the software to be run from the hard drive instead.
This helps speed up the process of reading the data on the CD, and allows a computer user to run several--in Alcohol's case, up to 31--of this type of disc-based application at the same time. In our tests, the program loaded the CD onto the hard drive quickly, and offered important features for older discs, such as rereading and the ability to skip bad sectors. The software supports most disc-image formats, including ISO, Nero, and CloneCD.
However, it is set apart by its ability to emulate copy-protection methods such as StarForce, SecuROM, and LaserLock, saving copy settings for audio, game, data, and other types of discs. That makes it possible to create virtual versions of copy-protected discs, which can otherwise be difficult to use in this way. Powerful and straightforward, Alcohol 52% is an excellent choice for computer users seeking emulation software.
From Alcohol Soft:
Alcohol 52% FE is emulation software, supports 25 plus languages. It can handle up to 31 virtual CD and DVD-ROM drives, all at once. The reading speed of a virtual CD-ROM is 200X. This means you can play a CD from the virtual CD-ROM with 200X reading speed. Supports normal CD and DVD and CD RAW sub-channel reading methods: RAW reading method enables to emulate all CDs.
What's new in this version:
- NEW Alcohol Installer now supports 9 different languages
- NEW Indonesian Language Supported
- UPDATE SPTD V1.86
- UPDATE 120 New burners added to Device Support List
- FIX Minor Problems reported by users
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Rescue all lost or missing media files from iPod.
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- View images and play various audio and video files.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Stream online video to your PC and manage your music and video ...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Play audio and video files.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Play all multimedia files and find subtitles automatically.
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Browse the Web, listen to music, and administrate multiple comp...
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Manage your files and play media files.
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Discover and play online videos, download, save, organize, and ...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Get a media tutorial making application.
- Play torrent media while it is being downloaded.
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
All versions:2.6 stars
out of 48 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"What program??? Nothing but spyware and viruses here!"
Version: Alcohol 52 FE 22.214.171.12430
there are none
Spyware and virus
I downloaded this and just as installation finished my AVG picked up and blocked a virus. Then three links to various other programs I never approved to be downloaded and they appear to be spyware. This is the only thing I have downloaded and installed today. I attempted to uninstall it but the program does not even seem to be on my computer. When sorting my apps by date install date the only thing installed today is "mypcbackup" the spyware....
"Alcohol free edition is now bundled with spyware."
Version: Alcohol 52 FE 126.96.36.19930
Works well enough, and is stable. Reads most CD/DVD formats.
You should know the following. Even when using advanced setup and pressing 'decline' for a couple of times it installs Smart File Adviser. This can not be removed from add/remove programs without removing Alcohol as well. In addition to installing "Smart File Adviser" the free edition modifies these registry keys...
It changes the file association for application downloads to all go through a php page on a remote web site. It would theoretically then be possible for this web site to:
Redirect your download to another file.
Modify your download, and insert a virus or trojan, etc.
Insert code to scan your PC for back account and credit card numbers.
Send you a file that re-formats your C: drive.
Use your imagination for more possibility.
I do not know that it does any of these things, but it easily could, and it could start doing it when it chose to without installing additional software on your PC. It is also possible someone could hack the web site this points to and exploit it.
I recommend finding an alternative to this software, unless the author relents and removes Smart File Advisor.