CNET Editors' review
Desktop gadgets are simple little tools that add simple little features to the desktop in Windows 7 and Vista. Simple, yes, but extremely useful. The most popular gadgets are clocks, calendars weather displays, Web feeds--stuff you need often and want fast. Clocks make great gadgets because there are so many ways to improve on the box-standard Windows system tray clock. We took a peek at ActiveX Clock Gadget, a free digital clock display that automatically changes hues. It works on 32-bit editions of Windows Vista and 7 with up-to-date ActiveX controls, or you can download a version for Windows XP.
We downloaded ActiveX Clock and installed it automatically using the Windows Gadget Installer, which should be the default option. We right-clicked the desktop and selected Gadgets to open the gadgets manager. We right-clicked ActiveX Clock and selected Add (the other choice is Uninstall). The clock appeared on our desktop. It's a compact affair displaying the time, a.m. or p.m., and the day and date in a window resembling a display device. The background color slowly shifted through the spectrum, a nice effect that takes advantage of improved color rendering in Windows. Right-clicking the clock display let us choose Display Seconds or an About message. Enabling the seconds display replaced the date and day display with two small digits that counted up the seconds to each minute.
ActiveX Clock has an attractive effect, but we wish it gave us more options. For one thing, we'd really like to see the flashing colon that separates hours and minutes go away, and perhaps choose a single color to stick with, not to mention changing the color of the digits. But if you're looking for a simple digital clock gadget with a nice effect that's a bit different from the usual fare, check out ActiveX Clock Gadget.
From Mc & RENOX:
This Gadget is a digital variation to the default analog clock from Microsoft. Additional feature: Enable/Disable Seconds, Slowly changing background color (HUE rotation). For Windows 7 and Vista 32bit.
More Products to Consider
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Add 43 languages auto translator to Windows Sidebar.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Display the current time like analog seven-segment clock faces.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Install multiple useful gadgets for Windows 7 in one click.
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Monitor your processor temperature via a graph at the bottom of...
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Wake up to this alarm clock that has a different alarm for each...
- Learn how long your machine has been running with this Yahoo wi...
- Place a glowing digital clock on your desktop with multiple fea...
- Automate your PC shutdown, reboot, sleep, log off, and hibernat...
- Remove the show desktop button from the Windows 7 taskbar.
- Create and stick electronic notes on your Windows desktop.
- Enhance your Windows Vista desktop with Windows Seven desktop t...
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: ActiveX Clock Gadget 1.5
It's a fast download. It makes a nice grey box with a red X in the middle of it.
Doesn't actually do anything since the ActiveX control fails to load/work/etc.
Don't bother with this.