CNET Editors' review
Onscreen rulers definitely belong in that class of PC tools that are useful enough to keep around but all too often overlooked. A Ruler For Windows (AR4F) is a free onscreen metric ruler that offers attractive skins and handy keyboard commands. It toggles into a reading guide, a straight bar for distinguishing fine lines of print and closely spaced text.
AR4F's default skin is an attractive wood-grain look. It's ruled for millimeters and marked every 100mm. A red line displays its position on the ruler, allowing for easy readouts of fine measurements. AR4F is easy to resize via small controls at either end, and the program displays the ruler's total length in green at the right end. The controls on the left select magnification level, and the measurement marks at the top or bottom edge of the ruler toggle between horizontal and vertical modes, depending on whether we right-clicked or left-clicked the button. The Themes button let us change the interface color to yellow, stainless steel (gray) or plastic (semitransparent). We could also directly enter a specific length for our ruler, which is handy if you know how long something should be: Just set the ruler to that length for quick matching. The right-side controls minimize or close AR4F and open the combined Options-Help-About sheet. This lists the program's mouse commands and keyboard shortcuts and offers checkboxes for a few options, including Help balloons, confirm exit, and enabling the fence ruler/reading guide. We selected this option and clicked OK. The keyboard shortcut for toggling to the reading guide is S; we pressed it, and the ruler minimized to a straight bar about two lines of text high, with the controls visible when we hovered the cursor at either end.
A Ruler For Windows is one of the nicer tools of its type we've tried--clearly marked, with useful controls. It needs U.S.-style measurements (inches, etc.) and picas wouldn't hurt, either; those additions would make it much more versatile. But we have no qualms about recommending A Ruler For Windows.
From Rob Latour:
A Ruler for Windows is a free virtual on screen pixel ruler or reading guide for Windows. It comes with your choice of wood grain, stainless steel, clear plastic see-through and yellow construction on screen rulers and on screen reading guides. With the latest release of the program you can now add and share your own skins.
As you can see through the clear plastic ruler you can even continue your typing under it. Special 2x, 3x, and 4x modes allow you to take a snapshot of your primary screen and magnify it so you can more easily measure between very fine points.
The ruler can be flipped horizontally or vertically, resized to an exact length or resized by dragging it to a desired length. You can click near a tick to have a measuring line automatically drawn at an exact location. The question mark button allows you to learn more about other features and functions.
More Products to Consider
- Add a semi-transparent ruler with keyboard shortcuts to your de...
- Know the exact size and position of any element with this scree...
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Save and restore your desktop icon positions.
- Save and restore your desktop icon positions.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Measure anything on your screen.
- Set up a timer with countdown mode, an alarm clock, and a stopw...
- Display custom messages and flash the Scroll or Num Lock lights...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Display unlimited world clocks with world map on your desktop.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Set your alarm clock and replace your standard tray clock using...
- Pick color from the mouse pointer and get its name, RGB, and he...
- Best uninstaller.
- Grab and save objects as they are copied to the Windows Clipboa...
- Manage files with multi-tabbed, dual panel commander with many ...
- Add and remove features to your system.
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 15 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Excellent and Very Helpful"
Version: A Ruler for Windows 2.6
Very easy to use
Can be used in multiple monitors. Just click and move among them
Make much easier to read specific texts on screen
No one up to now
I recommend for people that needs to read on screen, mainly when we use two or three monitors and it is necessary to move the eyes among them. The ruler remains where it is and when we come back, bingo. Sometimes I produce Excel tables using some technical articles and in the past I had to print the text and follow the information using a real ruler.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: