CNET Editors' review
Checkers is a game that's easy enough for even young children to play, but that doesn't mean it can't be a challenge when you're faced with a skillful opponent. 100% Free Checkers Board Game Windows offers a variety of skill levels and options, but we couldn't help but be a bit put off by the game's constant pressure to upgrade to Championship Checkers Pro.
When we launched 100% Free Checkers we had to wait a while for the program to get past the opening logo and actually launch the game. We then entered our name and selected an opponent: this free version of the game provides one option at the beginning level, three at the intermediate level, and none at the expert level. Each opponent is represented by an avatar and has a description of her or his game skill, memory, predictability, and aggressiveness. We started out at the intermediate level, and the game proceeded as checkers typically does, although we were surprised that 100% Free Checkers forces players to jump their opponents when they have the opportunity; that's a rule we've never encountered before.
The game comes with plenty of features and options, including a tutorial, practice rounds, and American, Spanish, Russian, Brazilian, and Suicide versions. Many of the game's more advanced features that really allow you to fine-tune your experience are only available in the paid version of the game, which is evident when you go into the settings menu and encounter numerous grayed-out options. But 100% Free Checkers does offer all the basics and then some, with attractive graphics and gameplay that is appropriately challenging.
100% Free Checkers Board Game Windows installs politely but leaves a folder behind upon removal.
Did you know that the ancient Egyptians were enjoying Checkers as early as 1600 BC? Now you can join the fun! Championship Checkers includes five exciting game variations, so this classic will never get old. Invite Championship Checkers into your home. Features:Interactive play-by-play tutorial. Variations and customizations. 24 newly redesigned characters. Five skill levels. Detailed history and statistics.
What's new in this version: Version 7.42 adds support for Windows 7 64-bit and updates a few characters.
More Products to Consider
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Embrace the Queen and shoot the Moon.
- Plunder melds and run with this jewel.
- Play a game of checkers against the computer.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Play online shooting hunting outdoors game with tournaments and...
- Place falling marbles into one place.
- Drive your truck across America and build your own business emp...
- Discover this Blend of Spades and Euchre.
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Test and run DOS based games on a DOSBox graphical environment.
- Experience the excitement of the most popular partnership card ...
- Play an arcade aviation simulator dedicated to the events of WW...
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Manipulate elements that can absorb, reflect, refract, or trans...
- Play 450 solitaire versions, from classics like Klondike to his...
- Play backgammon against your computer at different levels.
- Play GTA:Vice City online or via LAN connection.
All versions:2.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:2.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Excellent checkers game."
Version: 100% Free Checkers 7.42
This game is has good graphics. The checkers are designed after the original checker pieces "from the beginning of time". Nicely done!
No cons that I could find.
This game is a must for anyone who wants to play checkers and not have to tote the game in the box around to do so. I would suggest it for everyone.
"Turned me off at install"
Version: 100% Free Checkers 7.42
I didn't install it
Even using "Direct Download" to skip Cnet's new adware program, the program installer connects to a server and downloads the actual install files, preventing scanning before installation. Also, the installer app pushes its foistware (three extra installs) a bit too aggressively IMO.
I'm tired of "free" downloads that push the envelope this far. I can handle opting out of foistware and toolbars, but this download felt invasive to me.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content