CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the iTunes App Store, where you must continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed in order to open the link, and you must have an active iTunes account to download the application. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
The iPhone is a perfect device for a wide range of games, bowling first and foremost among them. With a touch interface, realistic physics, and plenty of engaging features, a game like iBowl for iPhone is immediately addictive for many of its players. But with a handful of drawbacks, trial restrictions, and limited interaction beyond the core game, is it worth a download? Here is a closer look to help you decide.
The iBowl for iPhone app has been around for quite some time, so it has been refined several times over to work more or less flawlessly on newer devices. The interface is cluttered to start and there are too many reminders to upgrade, but the actual game plays smoothly. Feature-wise the game is everything you could expect from a free bowling app. Three lanes to choose from and limited upgrades notwithstanding, the actual bowling mechanics work very well and are quite entertaining on a touch screen. There are some issues with the touch mechanics when you're starting, but once you understand the basics of the game it works quite well.
Compared to many free games, the trial restrictions are not too glaring for iBowl, but the premium version of the game does contain some very important game components including physics upgrades and better interface tools. Nonetheless, for basic bowling and to kill some time on your phone, this is a solid, enjoyable, free app.
From Social Gaming Network:
iBowl for iPhone, the way to go bowling on your iPhone. iBowl lets you bowl live with up to four people around the world. Simply swing your iPhone like a bowling ball and see how many strikes you can get. Position the ball by moving your finger left or right on the screen.
What's new in this version: Version 7.0.8 includes bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Play your Slacker Radio stations on the iPhone and iPod Touch.
- Turn your iPhone into a flute-like instrument and play your fav...
- Get the music creation studio on your iPhone.
- Turn your iPad into a music station with dynamic playsiskts and...
- Scratch, mix, and add FX to your music with this pocket DJ appl...
- Manage your personal events and get reminded about your life ev...
- Discover music and follow your favorite artists via Twitter.
- Path is a personal social network designed to help you be close...
- Record and publish songs over internet from your iPhone.
- The #1 Photo Captions App! - (Awww yeaahhh) LAUGH YOUR FACE OFF...
- Record ideas, to-do lists, or even entire lectures on your iPho...
- Get an I Ching divination app on your iPhone.
- STRIKE KNIGHT is the next great free and highly addictive game ...
- Stream friends iTunes music libraries to your iPhone and access...
- Love Truth or Dare? Then you must have this!!! No Other App Can...
- Download the @FreeAppADay Store App and wish for more top rate ...
- Play 3 different types of 'Memory Puzzle' games in one applicat...
- Get the music player and mixer application for your iPhone.
- Add binary options trading platform to your iPhone.
- BPM/time counter.
- STOP! GET I'D CAP THAT 2 INSTEAD! SEARCH THE APP STORE!CELEBRAT...
- Listen to Radio NRJ and all of its exclusive live streams.
- STRIKE KNIGHT HD is now available on the iPad for FREE with bea...
- Read books on your iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad with Lexcycle S...
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"At least the old version was fun..."
Version: iBowl for iPhone 1.0
The old version was great. Unfortunately they forced an update and the new version is lousy. GIVE ME THE OLD VERSION AGAIN!
The new version doesn't recognize a hook. Every time you throw the ball it is arrow-straight. I bowled a 300 on my second attempt (I had a 290 the first time). It is so easy now, I don't even play it anymore.
I was addicted to the first version of this game that I downloaded in December, 2008. I played it every chance I got. My daughter and I were competing to see who could get the highest score. The best I could ever do was a 225, and that was after literally hundreds of games and hours of practice. Around January 9, 2009 I synced my iPod and was told there was an update to iBowl. I excitedly downloaded it, and on the first game I bowled a 290. The next game I bowled a 300. The game no longer recognized subtle wrist movements, so it is incredibly easy to throw the ball as straight as an arrow. Now the game is way to easy, and I hate it. BRING BACK THE OLD VERSION, PLEASE! I checked all of the settings to see if the hook was adjustable, but it's not. I guess I'll just wait until another update comes out and hope they make it realistic again.
"This game is a lot of fun."
Version: iBowl for iPhone 1.0
Great sound effects and pretty accurate.
Ball won't launch sometimes.
It's well worth downloading. I have spent hours and hours playing this game.