CNET Editors' note: The download button opens the iTunes App Store, where you may continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed with an active iTunes account in order to download and install the software. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
Foursquare offers a new interface in version 5 that has been completely reworked to a much cleaner design so you can get to what you want quickly using only three tabs across the bottom of the screen (the former design had five buttons across the bottom). The Friends tab (which used to be only about checking in) now offers big photos you can swipe to browse along with tips, lists, and places your friends have saved. From here you can "Like" or comment on activity by touching a button for each. The new layout seems much better organized from what I've seen and should make it easier to pick up and use for people new to the service.
The new Explore tab displays what's around you automatically -- you no longer need to perform a search. At a glance, you'll now be able to see places around you with the best bargains, where your friends are currently, and nearby places you might like. Results are based on what your friends and people with similar tastes have liked and talked about near your current location. Reinert says that using the data from millions of users, Foursquare can surface what your friends have said about locations along with locals with similar tastes (based on your previous Likes and check-ins). This means that even if you are traveling you can get listings for both tourists who have been visited a location, along with reviews of local hot spots by the people who live there.
You still have the power to search, of course. You can browse through popular categories or you can type in keywords to get results for the places around your current location. Foursquare Labs says everything from the best pizza in your neighborhood to the preferred place to get coffee when you're traveling abroad is easily found using the Explore tab, and from what I've seen, the new interface definitely seems more efficient.
Foursquare has also expanded the information and interactivity with venues. Now, when you look at page for a venue, you can make comments and put your opinion out there by Liking the venue. This gives users who happen upon your and others' comments more encouragement to try out a new spot.
In the new layout, the Check In button has been moved to the top-right corner of the screen, and Foursquare Labs says this was simply a design choice to make the button more accessible, so you can use your thumb to quickly check in.
Finally, the third tab on the bottom is where you can look at your profile. Foursquare Labs says that users asked for a way to quickly view a personal history of check-ins, tips, and likes, so it redesigned the interface to offer more than just badges and stats. You can now touch a big button to see your current friends, stats, photos you've added, tips you wrote, badges you've earned, and lists.
The newly redesigned Foursquare app is available now for free at the iTunes App Store. If you're a Foursquare user or want to see what checking in is all about, the new redesign is a great reason to download now.
Foursquare checks in with a new interface
Heading out? foursquare helps you and your friends make the most of where you are. Join the over 20 million people who are already on foursquare. Download the free app now! Share and save your experiences wherever you go. Get personalized recommendations and deals based on where you, your friends and people with your tastes have been. Search for anything (from 'free wi-fi' to dumplings) or browse popular categories. Discover insider tips and lists from local experts, brands, and celebrities.Get started today!
What's new in this version: You guys! The nearby friends view is back! Based on all the great #allnew4sq feedback, you can once again see just check-ins from nearby friends. Just drag down when youre on the friends tab to switch between views. Weve also made a ton of small tweaks and bug fixes under the hood to make things faster and more intuitive, like the ability to easily add photos to a place from the gallery. Enjoy!
More Products to Consider
- Call, text, and send photos to anyone worldwide.
- Free texting, voice messages, and video calls in your pocket. 3...
- Kik Messenger is the totally free, crazy-fast cross-platform me...
- Enhance your student life.
- Write and send messages to your friends and contacts from your ...
- NEW in this version: FREE VIDEO CALLS*With Nimbuzz you can Call...
- Keeping up with friends is faster than ever with the Facebook a...
- Path is a personal social network designed to help you be close...
- Tango is your complete mobile communication solution that final...
- Connect with your LinkedIn network on the iPad.
- No more texting overage, texting plans or any other hassles rel...
- Share the right things with the right people with Google's soci...
- Actionvoip is a mobile application that lets you make (free) vo...
- Get feedback on potential purchases from your social network.
- FREE Calls to U.S. and Canadian phone numbers or to any magicJa...
- Make and share gorgeous photos on your iPhone.
- Track your online purchases and deliveries so that you always r...
- Video chat with your friends and family, up to 4 at once.
- With Facebook Camera, you can share photos on Facebook faster t...
- Google Talk Video, Voice and Text chat on your iPhone, iPad and...
- Aggregate RSS feeds about politics, sports, techno, economy, an...
- See what app trends are popular in your city.
- Of all the apps Ive downloaded, Talkatone has saved me the most...
- Party Pal is the new social quiz game for your next get-togethe...
All versions:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content