CNET Editors' review
dupeGuru for Mac locates and removes duplicate photos, documents, programs, and other files from your computer so you don't have to do it, manually. You'll find this app especially useful if you have several hard disks and store a lot of files on them.
After installing dupeGuru for Mac, you are greeted by a menu describing it as "fairware," a licensing concept that basically means that you can enjoy all the features of the app without paying for it, but that you can only delete 10 duplicate files without a full license. The app sports a small, basic interface, not too pleasing, visually, but easy to follow. You begin by selecting the file folders to be scanned, and then initiate the scan. The scan is relatively fast, and when it's over, you'll see a list of potential duplicate files that includes their location and size. You have to manually select which files to keep and which to delete. That's about it. During testing, the program returned potential duplicates very well, and deleted selected ones quickly.
Overall, dupeGuru for Mac performs well, quickly scanning your disks and accurately identifying duplicates. The interface, while not an eyesore, is certainly not eye candy, either, but that's not a big issue for an app of this kind. If you want to save up some disk space and keep your files better organized, this utility is nice to have.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of dupeGuru for Mac 3.7.1.
From Hardcoded Software:
dupeGuru is a tool to find duplicate files on your computer. It can scan either the name or the content of your files. The filename scan features a fuzzy matching algorithm that can find duplicate filenames even when they are not exactly the same.
What's new in this version: Fixed folder scan type, which was broken in v3.7.0.
More Products to Consider
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Finds files, folders & contents without indexing.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Find, view and manage files with duplicate content regardless o...
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Back up your important files and folders.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Sort, organize, copy and backup files and folders with a single...
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Graphically controlled vocal reduction app.
- Find Quake servers over the Internet.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Seek out friends and colleagues on the Internet.
- Data recovery software.
- Find every bomb on the field.
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Track back your stolen Mac.
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Copy and paste data between iPhone apps and your Mac over Wi-Fi...
- The Fast and Free Way to Download and Manage YouTube Videos.
All versions:2.6 stars
out of 5 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-5 of 5
Version: dupeGuru 3.6.1
- NOT coded correctly to delete them using any method they offer from an external hard drive
- DO NOT tell the consumer who pays $20 for the software that it may not delete from an external
- HORRIBLE customer service. Website says "If you do not find your answer in the FAQ, contact us and we will figure it out." They are extremely unresponsive and when they do respond, they either ignore the question or offer advice that makes no sense.
- They KNOW the program may not be able to delete from an external, yet they have not tried to fix this bug
Don't buy this program if you want to delete from an external drive!! I want my money back, but they won't even address that request.
"Avoid this Program at all costs!"
Version: dupeGuru 3.6
It downloaded on my mac and installed- wow phooey!
I started with the trial version
It took all weekend to find 1300 odd duplicates on my topline MACbook pro 17"
When I wanted to delete the duplicates, the options are too complicated and frustrating for ordinary people to use, and the trial version says it will only let you delete 10 duplicates at a time. It does not even do that. I Uninstalled the program and send to trash. Avoid a total waste of time. Do not use this program unless you really want to waste your time.
Find something else that works.
"great software-- careful and thorough and accurate"
Version: dupeGuru 3.2.1
I've tried many of the dupe finders and annihilators, and this one was by far the most straightforward, flexible, and thorough.
None-- on other sites there were complaints that it took too long-- but doing something right does take time.
I ran the software last night through my 25,000 photos. It found 2200 dupes, about 3.3 gigs, and did not make a mistake among them. This is well designed software-- not quick and dirty, but slow and thorough and accurate. That was my experience last night, and I am grateful. Well worth the small investment.
"Must have on my Macbook Pro"
Version: dupeGuru 2.8.1
This excellent program (along with two other support programs) has been an answer to a pestering problem for me, especially with the Mac habit of copying vs. moving/deleting.
I was a bit confused at the start of using the program about exactly which files could be deleted in the list it created, but over time and a better reading of FAQ and the website, I was able to clear up the confusion.
Version: dupeGuru 2.2
not for me
matches files that are not duplicates, be careful.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content