CNET Editors' review
When we tested aTunes, the fast installation was followed by shockingly sluggish tree navigation, required to add our song library. Fortunately, the subsequent scan was flawless, handling 7,500 tracks in about 10 minutes. So in music terms, the show started off with some bad feedback, but then aTunes really got rockin'.
The tabbed interface keeps the various panes from getting too cluttered, managing both primary and secondary information elegantly. Icons just below the Menubar let users hide the AudioScrobbler, the Navigator, and the Song properties windows, which makes the UI far more customizable than it might seem. The impressively useful AudioScrobbler pane surfaces nearly all secondary song information, making it easier to discover an artist's biographical details, using tabs to prevent clutter and keep track lists and song lyrics organized. Built-in links encourage discovery of similar songs and related videos on YouTube.
aTunes comes with 27 skins, has built-in Last.fm and various other Internet radio station support, and has decent podcast-catching abilities. Customization via Preferences can change the layout to multiple windows, and Tooltips, Smart Sorting, and even the tabs themselves can be deactivated. Metatag editing and autotagging work well, and we liked the Favorites feature, which creates an automatic playlist of your songs, albums, and artists tagged as such.
There is room for improvement. MP3 player support exists, but only on portable devices that behave like external hard drives. Those that utilize fancy firmware--like the iPod--get ignored. Also, Linux and Mac users might find the installation to be too much work, with various components not bundled into the executable. aTunes would benefit from search-as-you-type, too. Even with those problems, though, aTunes doesn't miss a beat and is easily one of the best jukeboxes around.
aTunes is a fully-featured audio player and manager, with ripping and encoding tools included. aTunes is coded in Java programming language (Java 5), using Swing, making it a highly portable piece of software.
More Products to Consider
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Listen to audio files with light and simple audio player from t...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- Burn the files and images on CD and DVD discs.
- Rip audio CDs, convert audio, burn and copy CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray ...
- Search and download from over 100 million songs.
- Download any track from SoundCloud with a single click.
- Get flexible audio and video playback with access to smart orga...
- Edit your digital audio files on your Windows PC.
- Burn an ISO image file to CD-R, DVD-R, DVD+R, CD-RW, DVD-RW, an...
- Create drum or audio loops and play sample files and MIDI instr...
All versions:3.2 stars
out of 16 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Awesome Media Jukebox"
Version: aTunes 2.0.1
Seems good to me. The feature that made me like this jukebox more then others is showing the lyrics of the song being played... thats awesome idea. also plays much more formats then some ******* piece of **** software that it looks alike...
you would always want something more
"May be great for Apples, not my Vista machine"
Version: aTunes 2.0.1
It allows you to use your iPod and iPhone
When I UPGRADE, I have a mess to clean up. I wish there were an alternative to this piece of junk. It finally upgrades iTunes, then QT must be uninstalled-reinstalled. It is a resource hog, it syncs stuff already on, it doesn't delete from my iPhone
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content