CNET Editors' review
Free photo and image tools are getting so sophisticated they more than rival expensive premium tools. Case in point is Zoner Photo Studio Free, an up-to-date graphics app that is packed with features. It can sort and manage image libraries; resize, enhance, and correct images; create albums, slideshows, calendars, panoramas, and other displays; and upload your images to popular photo-sharing sites. It incorporates full-featured Browser and Editor functions, but it also works with a wide range of other photo tools.
Zoner Photo Studio offers Standard and Custom Installation options; we chose the standard installation. A First Run Wizard walked us through the steps of setting up Zoner, though the program can also import settings from previous installations, if available. The setup options included file-type associations, destination folders, whether the program should open images in the Browser or Editor views, and whether or not to integrate it with Windows. We could change these and other settings at any time on Zoner's Preferences menu. Zoner's Browser interface sports the dark-gray tones, white font, and tree-view navigator typical of modern graphics apps, but there's also an interesting built-in folder view in the main window. Zoner handles layers, offers autocorrect functions on its Quick Fix menu, and features a palette of tools such as clone stamps, a morphing mesh tool, red-eye correction, and other useful effects. It works much like other graphics and photo editors, too; although it doesn't resemble Photoshop as closely as some of its competition, many of the functions, controls, and options will be familiar to anyone who's spent much time with similar programs. We browsed to and opened an image and quickly applied a variety of tools and effects to it in the Editor, including watermarks, brush strokes, and cropping. Zoner can use EXIF data to sort image collections automatically. One surprising but nifty extra is the ability to assign GPS data to images using Google Earth.
Zoner Photo Studio Free has all the tools and options to satisfy most users, even pros. It has a stylish interface, well-configured controls, excellent Help and Tutorials, and more settings and features than we can address in this space. Definitely recommended.Zoner Photo Studio Free - Manage and edit your photos easily - Download Video Previews:
From Zoner Software:
Zoner Photo Studio free is the fast and free way to manage, edit, and share your photos. Bring pictures in from your camera or practically anywhere and for correcting photo defects, adding creative effects, organizing and tagging your archive, composing creations from the serious to the whimsical, and sharing countless ways on paper or onscreen. This tool by photographers for photographers supports the industry standard technologies. Make managing and publishing photo information easy with seamless, silent support for EXIF, IPTC, and XMP. Get the most out of your computer with support for SSE, MMX, and multiple cores. The streamlined interface in eye-saving charcoal gray is as powerful as it is easy. Bring in pictures from anywhere you can imagine, and then apply as many edits as you want to as many photos as you want, all at once.
What's new in this version: Version 14 build 7 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Manage, edit, and share your photos.
- Create Flash slide shows with photos and music.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Organize, annotate, and share your digital photos.
- Make people in your photos look nice.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Let your photo editing ambitions soar on the big screen.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Capture and edit your images on PC.
- Add Digital bookmarks and protect your photos.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Convert your text to word cloud picture.
- Creat flash slideshow, flash gallery, Web albums, and gift CD/D...
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Create Flash photo albums and slide shows.
- Capture and process images on your PC.
- Create photo slide shows with music in three steps.
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 38 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"A first-first class Photo: Organizer, Manager, Editor."
Version: Zoner Photo Studio Free 14 build 7
Years ago I started with PaintShopPro, which I loved, but in the ensuing years tried out most of programs/suites that followed. Today, almost 30 years later, I continue to use PaintShopPro v8 (after v8, software bloat set in) and now complement it with ZPS 14, both Free and Pro versions. Pros: very logical, fast, pleasant graphical design, wonderful emailing facility with auto resizing to accommodate sending large pictures for viewing on today's standard monitors, and so much more
For my uses -- none significant
I advise trying the Free version. In my case, I was so impressed that I bought the Pro version and a license to install it on all my household computers. Even though I don't use most of the Pro features (RAW processing, etc), I wanted to support Zoner in their efforts.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content