CNET Editors' review
According to Zencode's Web site, Zenkey is not a hard-boiled fruitbat. However, to call it a free desktop and system utility hardly seems to do it more justice than the developer's infrequent quirky reminders of what it isn't. Its Keystrokes feature creates versatile hot keys that can access just about anything on your system. Its Infinite Desktop extends your real estate as far as you like, with a handy map and a bunch of other useful features to keep track of it all, including the ability to "iconify" and "rollup" windows, set transparency, and bring things back to normal instantly.
Zenkey is based around a simple but efficient context menu system that gives quick right-click access to "My" stuff: Programs, Documents, Infinite Desktop, Window (the program), Keystrokes, Control Panel, Internet Sites, Search, and Windows system utilities, management consoles, media commands, and more. Zenkey doesn't leave out much, but it's a cinch to add stuff. Clicking My Keystrokes called up a menu with several helpful examples of what hot keys can do; we tried out the Windows Configuration Utility command. Menu enhancements and hot keys are useful, but desktop enhancements are fun; next we enabled the Infinite Desktop and companion Desktop Map, a small window displaying color-coded outlines of the open elements on the desktop, with the ability to set transparency, position, and more. We could grab our whole Windows desktop and drag it in any direction to get more space without ever losing sight of the whole picture. While that's pretty slick, our favorite feature is probably the ability to Iconify any window, miniaturizing it to a small, draggable window displaying a program icon and CPU and disk usage, letting us keep track of a lot of active applications and processes without having to have their windows open. Clicking on an Iconified window restored the normal view. You can configure nearly everything about how Zenkey looks and behaves, even whether it should display helpful hints and interesting quotes and sayings.
Zenkey is worth having simply because it provides quick, central access to everything, but its extensive hot-key capabilities and its desktop enhancements set it apart from similar tools, even those that aren't free.
ZenKEY allows you to control almost all aspects of your computer via the keyboard and mouse. Using keystrokes that work no matter what program you are in, you can launch a program or bring it back into focus, open a document, folder or Internet resource, minimize or maximize a window. Resize, move or alter a window, issue a media command, such as play, pause or volume up/down, start your screensaver or shutdown your computer, access hidden Windows utilities, and control Winamp or compatible media players.
What's new in this version: Version 2.4 fixed an error opening menus and moved to new version number to assimilate all previous fixes/changes.
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Manage, edit, and share your photos.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Process images in batch mode at the click of a button by using ...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Add your photo into different beautiful templates.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Convert images into different formats in a batch mode.
- Create and edit animated GIF images quickly and easily.
- Convert your image files and view it in text mode.
- Protect your photos with visible watermarks, convert, rename, d...
- Capture screenshots of your desktop screen.
- Improve your digital images with high quality and efficient RAW...
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-4 of 4
"This is practicall"
Version: ZenKEY 2.4.13
U have most of the treads U usualy use here-at hand.
and things U do not have--U are able it to tell the program to find.
Easy to deal with-and free
Only worked with it shortly--and seen none so far
All in all, a VERY handy program; With a lot of opertuneties
"An excellent application which does everything!"
Version: ZenKEY 2.3.2
Easily access anything in your computer or net with a few keystrokes-does almost anything...
...Yet does not seem to add on anything extra in terms of utility-a truly zennish application!
Good for all who like tinkering(geeking!)around with their computers.
"best organization tool that i have seen on the web"
Version: ZenKEY 2.3.2
can find my files or info with one or two key clicks
needs a little more focus on different browsers
I honestly joined cnet ( which I love anyway ) just to
sing the indexing and organizational properties of this Free product.
Version: ZenKEY 2.0.1
It's a shortcut mapper. It's free. People worked really hard to make it and made no money off of it.
It froze my WLM window and winamp. It had a hard to use wizard that I went through. Whnever I made a difference, it jumped to the beggining.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content