CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the Android Market where you must continue the download process. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
In an obvious effort to turn YouTube into more of a TV-like experience, Google has created the YouTube Remote app for Android devices. With this free download, you can pair your mobile device with a desktop computer or YouTube-ready television, and use Android to share control of your YouTube playlist.
As great as the concept is for YouTube Remote, in practice, I see some things that need to be ironed out. My biggest gripe is that the device pairing process is not as simple as it should be. You must first navigate to YouTube.com/leanback on your computer or TV for instructions. From there, pairing your devices requires you to input multiple codes on your big screen and your small screen. Then, after all that, you may have to reload the page in your browser to activate the connection (I did). Fortunately, devices remain paired even when you close your browser or restart your mobile device, so shouldn't have to go through the process very often.
Once you get started, YouTube Remote works well enough. It doesn't give you the full capabilities of YouTube, but it lets you search for or browse through videos, access your subscriptions, and create playlists. And of course, all of your basic playback controls are there as well. With a share feature, you can even surrender some control of your screen to friends. Tap and hold the screen to pull up the share command, then give your other Android-toting friends the generated "Party Code." With this, they can add items to playlists, pause, play, and shuttle through videos along with you.
While this screen-sharing feature is built into the newest version of YouTube for Android, unless you're running OS version 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or higher, you won't be able to use it. That's where the YouTube Remote app comes in. It's certainly not perfect when it comes to user experience, but it does what it's supposed to do, and that's reason enough to download it. If you're an avid YouTuber, and you're running one of the older versions of Android, you should definitely give YouTube Remote a try.
Control the YouTube experience from the comfort of your couch! With YouTube Remote, you can use your Android phone or tablet as a remote control for YouTube videos on your desktop computer or Internet TV. Simply visit youtube.com/leanback on your computer or TV, and navigate to My YouTube -> Pair with mobile device. If your friends also have YouTube Remote, they can pair with your TV screen and share control of the playlist. Not sure who that actor is? Want to hear more songs from this artist? Click on the 'Topic' button for a world of information about the video you're watching.
What's new in this version: New in version 3.1.0:
- shuffle queue
More Products to Consider
- Use your Netflix account to access streaming movies and TV Show...
- Enjoy all your media on your Android phone with Orb Live.
- Tom is back with an all new adventure!.
- Have one-stop application store for your Android.
- Transform your phone into remote mouse, keyboard, and even voic...
- Get free wireless with Wifi Hacker!.
- Play YouTube based trivia game on your Android device.
- Watch free live Indian TV on your android device.
- Download and save video from popular wed sites.
- Watch 15-second video status updates captured on your smartphon...
- Talking Tom repeats everything you say with a funny voice.
- Check-in to movies, shows, music. Discover new favorites & see ...
- Trick your friends that you can see them naked.
- Socialcam is the easiest way to share videos with friends.
- Tom is back with an all new adventure!.
- Keep your private text messages, photos, and videos safely hidd...
- Schemer app to go with Google Schemer.
- Watch amazing bike stunts with different-different types of mov...
- ~~ Gain access to local WiFi networks with ease ~~WiFi Hack all...
- Download and share videos across Android, PC, and Web.
- Get a blogger client for your Android device.
- Capture time-lapse and slow motion videos automatically.
- Qloud Media let you easily enjoy the video and music fun anytim...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content