CNET Editors' review
Playing chess against a computer is supposed to be Mr. Spock's territory, but there's nothing stopping you from pitting your skills against a cybernetic opponent, thanks to Yea Chess by Drazen Beljan. It's a free chess-playing program that uses artificial intelligence and your computer's processing power to test your chess-playing ability at various skill levels.
Yea Chess is portable freeware that requires no installation; you can copy it to a USB stick or other portable device and always have access to your saved games. The program's interface is a chessboard with Game, Option, and Homepage file menus and control arrows for initiating moves along the bottom and numbers and letters along either axis. When you hover the cursor over your pieces, it takes the form of a pointing finger that lets you make quick and easy moves by clicking a piece and then clicking the square you want to move it to. You can zoom the rather compact view up to 250 percent on the Options menu, which also accesses the computer strength level settings; we used the rather low default setting, level 8 of 10. We clicked Game and selected New Game as Black, which shifted the black pieces from the top of the board to the bottom. The computer initiated play by advancing the White Queen's pawn, a classic opening move. We responded, and the computer instantaneously responded with a countermove. Yea Chess won't let you make wrong moves, but it'll sure let you make bad ones! Although we deliberately played an abbreviated game to test the program's moves, we expected to lose; Yea Chess achieved checkmate in eight moves. Clicking Save Game at current position saved the game in the program's folder, a nice touch that keeps things together in one location.
We're definitely living in the future when something from "Star Trek" becomes reality. Yea Chess not only gives you a challenging match but also helps you refine your game. It's easy to use and fun, too, if you don't mind losing a lot!
From Drazen Beljan:
Yea Chess is a chess versus computer. It has a simple interface and powerful and quick artificial intelligence. You can adjust the skill of the computer and save games.
More Products to Consider
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Discover a new generation of computer chess software, play onli...
- Play chess against your computer.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Discover a new set of friends with an exciting game of Champion...
- Play chess from beginner's mode to club level.
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Play online shooting hunting outdoors game with tournaments and...
- Place falling marbles into one place.
- Drive your truck across America and build your own business emp...
- Play around 100 logic games under single interface.
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Test and run DOS based games on a DOSBox graphical environment.
- Scan the Web content and local files.
- Play an arcade aviation simulator dedicated to the events of WW...
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Beat the computer in a game of dominoes.
- Play 425 solitaire versions, from classics like Klondike to his...
- Play chess against your computer or friend.
- Play Yahtzee like game versus computer or other people.
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 10 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"good chess program"
Version: Yea Chess 4.84
compact chess game
no tutor mode
i like it for the price (free!)
"It has a bug"
Version: Yea Chess 4.84
The game is strong
The game has a bug, the game makes an illegal move. When i move white pawn G2 to G4 then black will move pawn H4 to G3.(strength level 15)
1. e3 Nf6
2. Nc3 e5
3. d4 e4
4. f3 d5
5. Nh3 Nc6
6. Nf4 Bb4
7. a3 Bxc3+
8. bxc3 g5
9. Ne2 h5
10. h3 Rg8
11. a4 h4
12. Ba3 Ne7
13. Rb1 Nf5
14. Qd2 b6
15. a5 Ba6
16. Rg1 Qc8
17. Rb2 Bc4
18. Rb4 Qa6
19. Kf2 O-O-O