CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the product page in the online Android Market. The application can directly be downloaded and installed on the registered Android device from your PC, or you can download it from the Android Market on your Android device.
CNET Editors' review
Yahoo AppSpot is a recommendation engine for mobile applications. Available for Android and iPhone, it takes inventory of your installed apps and looks at your app-related search history to bring you a personalized list of downloads it suspects you'll enjoy.
Yahoo AppSpot opens up directly to a "Today's Picks for You" page, which consists of three columns of categories and three app recommendations per column. Tap any of the app's icons to get its vital information, with name, description, ratings, price, screenshots, and a link to the Android Market download page. To see more categories (there are 20 in all, including News, Sports, Productivity, and Entertainment) simply swipe left or right. And, of course, to view the picks within each column, swipe up or down.
The browsing experience, while it seems simple enough, is actually a bit tiresome. You can only see three categories at once, which means a lot of horizontal scrolling to see all 20. And, annoyingly, you can only see three out of the four picks per category above the fold, which means you have to scroll down to see the last pick in every column. With only four picks to display in each column, we're wondering why Yahoo couldn't optimize the design to keep them all above the fold. While browsing recommendations is inefficient, the built-in search function is very much the opposite. It spits out instant results as you type, which helps when you're not exactly sure what you are searching for.
Overall, we like the idea behind Yahoo AppSpot and found it a useful tool for discovering new downloads when you don't necessarily want to peruse the hundreds of thousands of listings in the Android Market or the Apple App Store. However, its user interface certainly needs work. The browsing experience needs to be made more efficient, and the swiping could be a bit smoother. If you're looking to discover new apps, it's still a great download; just prepare to be slightly annoyed.
Yahoo AppSpot for Android is the fastest way to discover new apps that are just right for you. With Yahoo AppSpot for Android get personalized app recommendations for your phone. It gives you daily picks based on the apps you have on your device. It is also a widget - long press on an empty space to add it to your home screen for instant access.
What's new in this version: Version 1.1 has improved performance of the home dashboard.
More Products to Consider
- English - Hindi and Hindi - English Dictionary ( ).
- Translate English to Tamil.
- Read Kindle books on your Android devices.
- The Holy Bible, New King James Version Bible, NKJV.The Old Test...
- Get an English dictionary application for your Android device.
- Best Daily Positive Affirmations at your fingertips! Want to th...
- The Best Way To Keep Up With Medical Research.
- Alkitab: Indonesian Bible with Section Headings and Parallel Ve...
- Brain Structure:In this study: Anatomy of Brain Structure.Are b...
- Scan your essay, article, term paper or dissertation with a sin...
- Lose Weight Permanently On The Paleo Diet And Remain Slim Forev...
- Uninstall applications and clean your Android device.
- The buddy system isn't just for little kids crossing the street...
- Search, find and launch apps, contacts, bookmarks, artists, alb...
- Get Sinhala Tamil English dictionary for your Android device.
- Find the mystery words by deciphering the clues and combining t...
- Help students in their studies by storing, managing, and displa...
- Experience profoundly altered states of awareness and explorati...
- Get uninstall tool for your Android device.
- Play the realistic anatomy game.
- Find the best games for you with this recommendation system.
- This app scans the barcodes and QR codes which can help you to ...
- Write American Psychological Association Format 6th ed. essays.
- Find restaurants, see menus, maps, and reviews on your Android ...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content