CNET Editors' review
Xupport is another good option for people who want to optimize and fiddle with specific and global settings on their Macs. This multipurpose utility (billed as a "Swiss Army knife" for OS X) can help you navigate files, perform backups, search for Unix commands, and alter a wide array of settings on your Mac, all within a simple interface that's organized around Settings, Maintenance, Optimization, Sharing, Backup, Browser, Unix, and Info. Recent updates bring full support for Snow Leopard (important for a system-tinkering app), better stability for PPC Macs, and better performance for Intel Macs.
You can do everything from modifying the appearance of the Dock (gold indicators against a black background to show that an app is running, neat!) to optimizing your Internet connection, running system maintenance tasks (like fixing permissions and updating prebindings), and creating a bootable backup of your system disk. As with all applications of this sort, it's possible to do more harm than good, but Xupport is among your better choices for limiting potential havoc-wreaking, if you're worried about getting in over your head. The one downside to Xupport is that there are free apps that offer much of the same functionality.
Xupport is a multipurpose system utility for Mac OS X. It provides many features to configure hidden Mac OS X and Unix options, to increase system security and performance, to maintain and backup Mac OS X, and to dig deeper into the world of Unix. Xupport 3 is fully compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), 10.5 (Leopard) and 10.6 (Snow Leopard).
- Access hidden System, Finder and Dock settings
- Run native maintenance scripts
- Reset file type settings (Rebuild Desktop)
- Reset Finder information (.DS_Store)
- Clean system and application log files
- Clean browser caches, cookies, web icons, ...
- Delete files and folders with administrator privileges
- Network optimizer
- Virtual memory optimizer (swap)
- Access hidden server settings (afp, http, ssh, ftp, smb)
- Create additional shared directories (Share Points)
- Advanced firewall interface (ipfw)
- Create bootable backups
- Create backup disk images for software restoration
- Browse hidden system files and folders
- Display system integrated unix manual pages (man)
- Mac OS X shortcuts collection
- Mac OS X error codes collection
- ASCII table and conversion ...
What's new in this version: This is a compatibility and performance update. It provides compatibility with Mac OS X 10.6 - Snow Leopard, a generally improved application stability and performance, and other minor improvements and resolved issues.
- Mac OS X 10.6 - Snow Leopard Support
- Improved stability on PPC Macs
- Increased application performance on Intel Macs
- Improved disk cloning process
- Resolves an issue when displaying certain Unix manuals
- Resolves an issue when canc... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Recover and protect data on your Mac, monitor S.M.A.R.T. and ba...
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Blackberry Extractor for Mac extracts data from .IPD (blackberr...
- Fix, clean, maintain and manage your system.
- Accomplish frequently needed complex tasks in Excel with mostly...
- Unarchive ZIP, TAR, SIT, RAR, and 7-Zip files.
- Professional all-in-one maintenance tool.
- Manage system and user services on your Mac.
- View and edit file and folder metadata.
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Browse Time Machine backups and find frequently copied items.
- Extract images, video, audio and text from files and folders.
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Extend OS X's native file handling capabilities via third-party...
- Make bootable system backups & sync your files.
- Client/server backup & restore system.
- Mines text data for string occurrences.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"excellent and very useful utility"
Version: Xupport 3.6.0
does some things Cocktail can't
none (now that the Snow Leopard version's been released)
Cocktail and Xupport complement each other nicely. i think Cocktail does a thing or two that Xupport doesn't, and Xupport lets you change the colors of the background and "open" indicators in your Dock, which is a great thing, especially considering how difficult the "open" indicators can be to see in the default color scheme.
Version: Xupport 3.6.0
Runs the more useful scripts, etc.
MUCH better choices are Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner, Tinker Tool System, Mac Pilot, and even, Onyx.