CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the Android Market where you must continue the download process. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
No matter how robust a data plan you have on your phone, it's still probably limited and slower than Wi-Fi. It pays to do most of your downloading on your home's connection or on free hot spots. WiFi Free will help you find dozens of free places to connect, but it's nowhere near as seamless as other apps. It takes too long to set up and has a very simple layout.
When you install this supposedly free app, you'll be stuck either paying 99 cents or connecting it with your Foursquare account. If you don't have a Foursquare account, that means you have to set up an account before you can even get started. Once you do, you're still stuck seeing ads (though the paid version erases them). However, hot spots are shown with Foursquare tips and you can share new finds right from the app. That's really the only thing there is to like about WiFi Free's crummy layout, though. It presents hot spots as a boring list with icons that indicate what kind of business each one is -- restaurant, coffee shop, etc. There's also a not-very-interactive map you can check out, too. Hilariously, because it feeds results from Foursquare, you'll see private residences listed in with the businesses.
It's certainly a useful app that delivers on its name. You will find a dozen hot spots nearby and you might even find a new favorite watering hole or burger joint. However, the annoyingly long setup and uninspired interface drag the app down. Foursquare users will love that they can check in right from WiFi Free, but everyone else might enjoy one of the many competing apps more.
From Mobile Innovations AD:
Wifi Free gives you information about all nearby WiFi spots - both free and secured. We know how active you are and wherever you may be, you will always need internet and free networks are not always available, nor steady. Here comes the WifiFree - we scan wireless networks near your location or any given location and find the most relevant WiFi spots.How does it work? 1. Start the application, choose a location and search for WiFi available. 2. We scan all found networks and filter those with available passwords or no passwords at all (all passwords are user shared and no hacking or intrusion of privacy is involved). 3. Choose your WiFi and start browsing.The application is 4square based and if you have a 4square account and don't mind the ads showing here and there, it's absolutely free.Try it! It's free, easy and helpful.Content rating: Low Maturity
More Products to Consider
- Turns your android phone into a Wi-Fi analyzer!!.
- Clean cache, unused files, privacy history and app packages on ...
- Protect your mobile device with both anti-theft and antivirus.
- Provide one-stop solution for mobile security and performance.
- Explore phones and PCs over net.
- Kill unnecessary apps and running tasks.
- VenueSpot - Wifi pass finder powered by foursquare.
- Install apps from your SD card on Android 2.0+ phones.
- Turns your Android device into a WiFi or Bluetooth universal re...
- Bring Window 8 Taskbar to your Android.
- Backup all your apps, market links, and remove bloatware from y...
- ~~ Gain access to local WiFi networks with ease ~~WiFi Hack all...
- Where was I when you called?.
- Answer your call without even touching your Android phone.
- You can enable the Portable Wifi HotSpot so quickly.
- Get free wireless with Wifi Hacker!.
- Track or locate your friends from your Android device.
- Vpn One Click protects your privacy online and unlocks all bloc...
- Turn your smartphone into a detailed map of the World.
- Make your friends believe that you actually can get access to p...
- With DataBooster, no more 3G/4G overage fees and no more speed ...
- Miami-Dade Transit Tracker is a mobile app for the Android Ging...
- The ultimate wifi and signal finding tool. Supports GSM, CDMA, ...
- Recover your forgotten or lost Wi-Fi password (WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content