CNET Editors' review
Digital deejaying has skyrocketed in popularity over the past five years and it's no wonder why. Compared to a full vinyl setup with all the hardware and physical media it requires, an MP3-based mixing station is extremely simple and cheap. There's even free software to get you started, and one of the most popular programs available is Virtual DJ.
Virtual DJ is often packaged with USB-based hardware mixing consoles from the likes of Hercules and Numark, and, in fact, if you really want to delve into the full array of features, such devices are going to be a necessity--and they'll require a $99 license fee to upgrade to the Pro version of the software. That said, you can download the app for free by itself and make very basic mixes and playlists.
While the program isn't specifically geared at newbies, it is intuitive enough for a musically inclined individual to use right off the bat. Once installed, Virtual DJ automatically populates a folder tree in the bottom left corner where you can easily access your music collection. The bottom middle serves as a tabbed, multifunction area where you can browse tracks, sample music bites, add effects, and make recordings.
The top of the window is dominated by two digital turntables, which are distinguished by color: blue on the left and red on the right. Each one has the ability to cue, loop, adjust pitch, scratch, and shift (among other features). In the middle is the mixing console, where you can adjust the gain and master volume, as well as transition between the two tracks. Once the songs have been dragged and dropped into the console, a bar along the top displays the sound waves of each to help with visual mixing. There's also a video input option that lets you create montages to the music.
The stylish interface and high number of features score points, but learning how to use the program is a hit-or-miss proposition. To be perfectly honest, using it without mixing hardware (that is, just a mouse and keyboard) is a challenge, and not one we enjoyed, so we recommend hooking up a compatible USB controller. Also worth a look: the thorough online user guide.
Virtual DJ is free, fully featured, and well-laid-out. It's a useful option both for aspiring mixers and newbies.VirtualDJ:
From Atomix Productions:
VirtualDJ is the DJ software chosen by DJ brands such as Numark, Denon and Hercules. It is used around the world by bedroom DJs and professional superstars alike. With its cutting-edge beatlock engine, your songs will always stay on the beat, and you can work your mixes incredibly faster than any other DJ. The automatic seamless loop engine and synchronized sampler will let you perform astounding remixes on the fly. The video engine lets you mix and scratch music videos as easily as audio. With NetSearch and MusicGroups, you will stay on the edge of the musical trends. And with the versatile VDJScript language and hundreds of available skins, you can tailor your software to your exact needs. VirtualDJ can also record your audio or video mixes, broadcast your own radio station on the Internet, play karaoke, connect with more than 50 DJ controllers natively and many more through downloadable definitions. It can also be controlled by timecode records or CDs, using regular turntables or CD players.
What's new in this version: Version 6.0.5 improves the video engine and fixes some small bugs.
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Edit your digital audio files on your Windows PC.
- Create drum or audio loops and play sample files and MIDI instr...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- Record any PC sound or your voice into a music file.
- Record your own voice, music or any other internal & external s...
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Broadcast and edit video audio files.
- Edit voice and sound recordings on a Windows PC.
- Search and download from over 100 million songs.
- Record, edit and enhance audio like MP3, WAV, WMA and more form...
- Record audio from system, microphone, or both.
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 1,100 votes
Current version:4.3 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
Version: Virtual DJ 6.0.5
quality and tech
"its great but iwant ful version download for free"
Version: Virtual DJ 6.0.5
the way it mixes and gets fit with beats
easy to use
Version: Virtual DJ 6.0.5
The features witin itself is impressive very easy to operate the sound quality is also considered to be execellent.
I don't have much to complain about.
I'm not in the professional DJ business therefore the price posted on the software would of certainly strecthed by wallet. Of course i would of loved to have this added to my collection of software. If you enjoy having many functionality to a music mixing board i strongly recommend you give this application a try. I did.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content