CNET Editors' review
Digital deejaying has skyrocketed in popularity over the past five years and it's no wonder why. Compared to a full vinyl setup with all the hardware and physical media it requires, an MP3-based mixing station is extremely simple and cheap. There's even free software to get you started, and one of the most popular programs available is Virtual DJ.
Virtual DJ is often packaged with USB-based hardware mixing consoles from the likes of Hercules and Numark, and, in fact, if you really want to delve into the full array of features, such devices are going to be a necessity--and they'll require a $99 license fee to upgrade to the Pro version of the software. That said, you can download the app for free by itself and make very basic mixes and playlists.
While the program isn't specifically geared at newbies, it is intuitive enough for a musically inclined individual to use right off the bat. Once installed, Virtual DJ automatically populates a folder tree in the bottom left corner where you can easily access your music collection. The bottom middle serves as a tabbed, multifunction area where you can browse tracks, sample music bites, add effects, and make recordings.
The top of the window is dominated by two digital turntables, which are distinguished by color: blue on the left and red on the right. Each one has the ability to cue, loop, adjust pitch, scratch, and shift (among other features). In the middle is the mixing console, where you can adjust the gain and master volume, as well as transition between the two tracks. Once the songs have been dragged and dropped into the console, a bar along the top displays the sound waves of each to help with visual mixing. There's also a video input option that lets you create montages to the music.
The stylish interface and high number of features score points, but learning how to use the program is a hit-or-miss proposition. To be perfectly honest, using it without mixing hardware (that is, just a mouse and keyboard) is a challenge, and not one we enjoyed, so we recommend hooking up a compatible USB controller. Also worth a look: the thorough online user guide.
Virtual DJ is free, fully featured, and well-laid-out. It's a useful option both for aspiring mixers and newbies.VirtualDJ:
From Atomix Productions:
VirtualDJ is the DJ software chosen by DJ brands such as Numark, Denon and Hercules. It is used around the world by bedroom DJs and professional superstars alike. With its cutting-edge beatlock engine, your songs will always stay on the beat, and you can work your mixes incredibly faster than any other DJ. The automatic seamless loop engine and synchronized sampler will let you perform astounding remixes on the fly. The video engine lets you mix and scratch music videos as easily as audio. With NetSearch and MusicGroups, you will stay on the edge of the musical trends. And with the versatile VDJScript language and hundreds of available skins, you can tailor your software to your exact needs. VirtualDJ can also record your audio or video mixes, broadcast your own radio station on the Internet, play karaoke, connect with more than 50 DJ controllers natively and many more through downloadable definitions. It can also be controlled by timecode records or CDs, using regular turntables or CD players.
What's new in this version: Version 6.0.4 improves NetSearch Video and the Timecode Engine.
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Edit your digital audio files on your Windows PC.
- Create drum or audio loops and play sample files and MIDI instr...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- Record any PC sound or your voice into a music file.
- Record your own voice, music or any other internal & external s...
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Edit voice and sound recordings on a Windows PC.
- Search and download from over 100 million songs.
- Clip and cut your MP3 files.
- Record and edit audio like MP3, WAV, WMA files for artistic cre...
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 1,088 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"it's AWESOME !!!"
Version: Virtual DJ 6.0.4
used the older version of this , looking fwrd to get this version ,
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME
"Best. The FIRST & the LAST I've ever seen."
Version: Virtual DJ 6.0.4
The thing I liked the most is that it plays both Audio & Video files. And yea not forgetting to mention the Extra Effects & Graphics.
Though it plays Video files, IT DOES NOT PLAY ALL VIDEO FILES. For example; It does not play the .DAT format & some more.
"Simply The Best"
Version: Virtual DJ 6.0.4
Easy to use, great features with a realistic and professional display
No cons here, i like it all
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content