CNET Editors' review
Venture is a very basic board-style game in which users build companies, take over corporations, and manage their stock portfolios. Unfortunately, it's not very fun.
The program's interface is basic and not particularly attractive. Part of the point of computer games is that they can be more dynamic and interesting than board games, but Venture is based on a grid-style board on which users build their business empires. Unfortunately, the 3D renderings of the businesses are rudimentary in nature, and look a bit like someone's homework from an introductory AutoCAD class. A built-in Help file explains the rules of the game. Users play against two or three computer players or log on to a network to play against real people. At any given time, there are six spaces on the game board that a particular player can use. With each turn users can establish a company, turn a company into a corporation, or merge with another corporation. Users also have the opportunity to buy stock in established corporations and must make strategic decisions about handling their stock when a merger occurs. When the game ends, the player with the highest worth wins. Overall, we found the game to be boring. It's not particularly nice to look at, nothing exciting happens, and we didn't find it strategically interesting. Users who are more interested in these sorts of things in real life may find it more enjoyable, but we doubt it.
Venture is free to try, but the trial version limits how many corporations a user can create. It comes as a ZIP file and installs desktop icons without asking, but it uninstalls cleanly. We do not recommend this program.
From Sandy Knoll Software:
Your goal in life is to become the world's most powerful venture capitalist. You plan to accomplish this goal by making shrewd business decisions. What company should you start? When should you start it, and where? Should you try for a hostile take over of a neighboring company? Merge with the competition? Should you try to increase profits by taking short cuts? What about the local community? Will there be consequences for such actions? These are just some of the tough decisions you will have to make in order to become the world's leading venture capitalist.
Features:Cross-platform network play. 3 levels of computer opponents. 4 game variations: Original, Safety Violation, Defunct Companies and Urban Renewal.
More Products to Consider
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Drive your truck across America and build your own business emp...
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Play GTA:Vice City online or via LAN connection.
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Add new features to your Red Alert 2 game.
- Play Spider Four Suits and four other spider solitaire card gam...
- Fight battles between plants and zombies.
- Create and simulate the game world on your PC.
- Play chess games against opponents over the Internet.
- Play tens of rounds of logical puzzle game.
- Play games based on IGG 3D Engine.
- Play 582 solitaire games with more than 80 card sets, 300 card ...
- Have your game data with you anywhere, anytime.
- Analyze previous Pick 3/4 lottery drawings.
- Analyze lottery games and predict the next lottery drawings.
- Find 12 differences between pairs of pictures.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"$6.95 FOR THIS"
Version: Venture 1.2
GOOD FOR WIPING YOUR SELF WITH.
GIVES YOU A SORE A$$ IF YOU DO WIPE YOURSELF WITH IT.
People this is crap! These games all use the same game engine. So-called programmers download them, revers engineer them, and upload them under a new name. And why does CNET still have stuff from the mid 90s on here?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS GAME AND THIS SITE IS A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME. McAfee Security goes off like crazy on every single download. Spyware / virus free? I DON'T THINK SO!