From Tim Holman:
VUWER (pronounced like "viewer") is an Applescript application designed to remotely track your MacBook Air or MacBook Pro (or any other Apple computer) in the event that it is lost or stolen. VUWER is not foolproof, but it is reasonably secure, easy to implement, and costs nothing but a little time and effort to set up. (1) VUWER is free of charge, open source, and relies on standard OS X commands and readily available freeware applications for installation and operation. Also, since VUWER is written in Applescript, it is relatively easy to modify or enhance in any way you choose. (2) You are in complete control of where the captured data from your stolen laptop is sent and how it is accessed; data can be transmitted either by email or by secure file copy to another computer account. (3) You can remotely capture screenshots, iSight/FaceTime camera images, and IP geolocation data from your laptop, and separately choose their respective repetition intervals. (4) No third-party intermediary is required to track your laptop. VUWER eliminates any possibility of an unscrupulous person at a theft-recovery company snooping on you.
What's new in this version:
- Due to deprecation of Google Gears API, VUWER now uses Google Maps geolocation to determine latitude and longitude of a lost or stolen computer. All VUWER users should upgrade to version 1.7 to restore latitude / longitude geolocation functionality.
- Per user request, Installation Option 2 allows users to change port numbers for SSH and SCP protocols.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your anonymity and others' as you browse the web.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Get Wi-Fi privacy and security, protect yourself from malware t...
- Maintain your anonymity online and secure your web session.
- Protect your privacy by blocking online tracking.
- Detect apps that establish outgoing Internet connections.
- Antivirus app powered by the open-source ClamAV engine.
- Protects privacy online and secures your computer.
- Hide and protect files and folders. Receive mail with iSight ca...
- Easy-to-use protection from viruses, Trojans and worms. Quarant...
- Scan the page behind any link you click on or any web address y...
- Detect spyware, clean up Internet privacy clutter and protects ...
- Record keystrokes, log visited websites, take screenshots and s...
- Find out what your kids are doing online.
- Test FileMaker database security.
- Secure chat tool.
- 2D graphing, fitting, histograms and more.
- Ssh-key passphrase changer.
- Lock and unlock your Mac account by using your face and track y...
- Observational data scoring tool for behavioral scientists.
- The universal IPsec client for VPN environments with a wide var...
- Switch between app prefs, data sets using defined profiles.
- Spoof your Ethernet or AirPort MAC address.
- Gives AppleScript the ability to send email messages (formerly ...
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Straightforward install'n. Lat/Long data incorrect."
Version: VUWER 1.4.2
Easy to install. Screen shots and isight pix work well.
Lat/Long coordinates are incorrect.
Little explanation is given of remote access to VUWER.
"Effective method for recovering a stolen laptop"
Version: VUWER 1.3.1
It is relatively easy to set up even for a newbie like me.
It is easy to understand how it works.
Confusing instructions make it more difficult that it should be.
Version: VUWER 1.2.6
This review was originally posted on VersionTracker.com.
I have just setup this app and it is amazing. To be honest I was expecting a headache in the setup but the instructions are well laid out and thorough. I was up and running within about 10 mins. I was using another tracking program but the idea that you don't have to be reliant on another provider gives me piece of mind.
Great job on bringing a great security product to everyone for free..