Editors' reviewWhen it comes to video files, it seems like nothing is ever as easy as it should be. VLC Media Player offers a one-stop solution, supporting playback of a whole slew of file types, including AVI, OGG, MP2, MP3, MP4, DivX, and DVD. It can even function as a streaming-media server. Its open-source roots mean the program evolves quickly, with new features and fixes released frequently. Though the skinned mode perks up the interface, the program suffers from unpredictable behavior when it's activated. Also, the basic task of opening a file is far more confusing than it should be; the program gives you several options, including the head-scratcher Quick Open File. Overall, though, VLC Media Player earns its place on any computer with its ability to open just about any type of video file.
VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
What's new in this version:
- Rewrite of the playlist (tree structure, input preparsing ...)
- Preferences improvements
- Mac OS X Tiger compatibility
- New Mac OS X audio output module. Gives full multichannel analog discrete soundsupport with all devices. SPDIF is not supported by this module. Please read the README.MacOSX.rtf file for detailed information.
- Client-side SSL/TLS support
- Support for FTP over IPv6
- Massive Matroska improvements
- Support for ... See all new features »