CNET Editors' review
Tout lets you create, share, and watch 15-second video status updates, all from your mobile device. But more than just a video app, Tout is its own self-contained social network, where you can find and follow other users, as well.
Because Tout is all about quickly shooting and sharing short videos, its interface is decidedly simple. There's a large Tout button always at the bottom of the screen, which lets you very quickly shoot and share videos. When you tap it, you can choose to either start recording a new video or upload an existing video from your device. Remember, video clips are limited to only 15 seconds in length, so you can't waste any time when shooting. And if you decide to upload an existing clip, Tout will automatically take the first 15 seconds. Unfortunately, it doesn't let you choose the portion that you want to upload, which is pretty frustrating when you want to pull just a small snippet from the middle of a longer video. Also, it's worth noting that there are no filters or other effects available because, again, Tout is all about quick and simple video posts.
Once you pick a video to "Tout," you can easily add a description, mention other users, add hash tags, and even make the video unlisted, if you choose. At the bottom of the Tout screen, you also get options to share via Facebook, Twitter, SMS, or e-mail.
The other half of the Tout experience has to do with following users and viewing others' content. Go into the Explore tab at the bottom of the screen to see popular videos, today's videos, videos from users you're following, and trending topics. From any video page, you can "Retout" a video, share it, or Like it. With a couple of taps, you can also easily shoot and post a reply video. As of now, Tout has quite a few celebrity users that you can follow. In fact, the platform got one of its first big pieces of publicity when Shaquille O'Neal used it to announce his retirement from the NBA.
Overall, I think Tout is great for shooting and sharing short video clips with friends. It's easy to navigate, and the interface makes it easy to quickly pull up the camera in just a couple of taps. As for the social network portion of the app, it's certainly fun to go through and watch a bunch of 15-second clips posted by both celebrities and regular people. But at times, you might find yourself wishing you could extend that darn 15-second time limit.
From Tout Industries:
Watch 15-second video status updates captured on your smartphone, tablet, or webcam. Share instantly with Facebook Friends, Twitter followers, and your contacts.
More Products to Consider
- Capture and create amazing videos to share across all of your f...
- Play audio and video files with this cross-platform player.
- Manage and play your media on the Android device.
- Play multiple video formats on your smartphone.
- Turn your Android device into the second monitor for your PC or...
- Capture unforgettable moments and share them with your friends ...
- Play popular file formats on your Android, including AVI, FLV, ...
- Get an Android application to allow you to trim lengthy videos.
- Browse and playback content stored on your Windows PC's PowerDV...
- Download and share videos across Android, PC, and Web.
- Access the mobile video search site on your Android device.
- Shoot, share, and watch videos on your Android.
- Capture time-lapse and slow motion videos automatically.
- Watch internet videos on your Android smartphone or tablet.
- Shoot your own time lapse videos on your Android device.
- TV.com delivers the best of TV right to your phone all for free...
- Video Manager is the easy way to find, capture, view, organize ...
- Super Video, Floating! The Best Popup Video Player with Softwar...
- View pictures from over 3,000 cameras around the world on your ...
- Watch amazing bike stunts with different-different types of mov...
- The perfect video app for swing analysis, form review, or any s...
- Convert video into various other format.
- Watch the latest music video from your favorite artists on your...