From Thoth Software:
Thoth 1.8.4 is usenet newsreader, available as a PowerPC binary for Mac OS X 10.2.8 or later, localized for both English and French languages. Thoth offers powerful and flexible filtering of usenet posts, including live filtering. Reference-based article threading is available, along with with a handy view of the thread tree in the window of the article you're reading. Multiple news servers can be used at the same time, with multiple connections per news server. There is comprehensive multiple character set support for both reading and posting in non-English language and non-Latin alphabet newsgroups. Many preferences settings can be specified on a per newsgroup or per newsgroup hierarchy basis, making it easy to have the optimal settings for binary and non-binary newsgroups, newsgroups in different languages, etc. Its built-in decoder for file attachments handles the usual encoding methods including yEnc. Images from binary posts can be viewed inline, in a dedicated image window, or in an image catalog window. Binary posting is supported, as are multiple personalities allowing different email addresses, signatures, etc. to be used in different newsgroups or situations.
Thoth 1.8.4 is available for downloading and is intended for existing Thoth users with valid registrations. It is a free update for such users. People who have lost their registration info can send an email with information such as their old Kagi order number or similar and ask for their registration code to be re-sent.
What's new in this version:
- (last revised May 31, 2009)
- Worked around a problem with some news servers such as Giganews that return an unexpected 501 or 503 response code for the XHDR command for unavailable header types. Also modified XHDR command handling to allow 225 as a successful response code (the correct command successful code for the newer HDR command) in addition to the standard 221 response. Other changes were made so that a filtering failure caused by this type of server problem should no lon... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Explore the Web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Surf the Web comfortably, relying on speed, safety, and power o...
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Try the faster browser that lets you get the most from today's ...
- View Flash multimedia content through your browser.
- Take Google's Chrome browser with you on a USB stick.
- Detect trackers and control their ability to view your online b...
- Take your bookmarks, surf internet, and experience the private ...
- Explore the Web in a safe and secure way.
- Navigate the Web with HTTPS browser that encrypts browsing sess...
- Scan for working online coupon codes during checkout while shop...
- Manage and organize your RSS feeds and TV Shows.
- Surf the Web with browser with automatic form filler, popup blo...
- Unblock Web sites and browse securely in Google Chrome.
- Download video from Metacafe, Vimeo, Facebok, and other sites v...
- Check out the latest pre-release of the upcoming Firefox.
- Flash Player preview version with new video hardware accelerati...
- Browse internet using a Chrome-based browser with automation fe...
- Browse the Web with speed and an elegant interface.
- Browse eLibraries(*.ero) in an easy, efficient, and fun way.
- Surf the Internet with a simple and easy-to-use Web browser.
- Navigate the Internet using browser with powerful search, shari...
- Navigate the Web with multi-processing tri-core browser with au...
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 191 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"The least terrible of a poor bunch"
Version: Thoth 1.8.4
Inadequate filtering, developer has attitude problems, outdated interface
No idea why v 1.84 is surfacing now. It's been around for a very long time. Years, I think. The developer is a well-known, whiney pissant who, on whim, enters and exits phases of refusing to respond to emails or offers to buy the software. This, despite frequent complaints that no one wants to buy! Be careful what you email to him or he might lock you out like Jerry Seinfeld's Soup Nazi.
The whole category of usenet client software for Mac is very poorly-served. (Maybe for Windows too!) Thoth might be considered the best of a pathetic bunch. It has an outdated interface which is, however, adequate if uninspiring.
Setting up Thoth is non-standard or, at least, non-intuitive although the on-screen notes are somewhat helpful. But setting up might take a while if you don't read those notes carefully.
Filtering is inadequate for today's usenet world. The newsgroups abound with morons and ********. To effectively deal with them, there needs to be more-sophisticated filters, perhaps a chaining option too. In the Windows world, experienced users seem to have no difficulty locking out specific morons. This is often not possible with Thoth because the morons are more-clever than Thoth is.
Re-ordering items in the Queued Transfers List window is non-standard. No undo of deletions is available.
"Mark cross-posted items as read" does not work as it should.
Thoth hides its various files obscurely. Syncing two Macs is difficult and time-consuming. Thoth needs to keep track of several things ? newsreader server details, personalities, groups to read, items requested to be downloaded, filters. It would be a big help if they were all stored together in a preferences file that can be easily found, amended, copied to another machine.
There are not a lot of usenet newsreaders for the Mac. Some people prefer others (like Hogwasher for example) but, for me, Thoth is the best of a poor bunch. I've tried Hogwasher and I don't like it at all. I just wish BC would bring Thoth into the 21st century (AKA OSX) with, say, version 2, a proper manual, a bright, attractive interface and preferences that are easier to manage.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content