CNET Editors' review
Like many free applications, The Hat from Harmony Hollow Software uses software to do something usually done "the hard way." In this case, it's drawing names from a hat, the time-honored method for randomly selecting individual entries from a group. The app can randomize a list of names so no one can complain about who goes first and who goes last. It can also draw individual names or pairs of names for raffles, sweepstakes, and ongoing contests. It does this all without requiring you to actually write down names, cut up the list, and throw it all into a hat.
The Hat opens with a compact interface displaying a blank field with an icon-based toolbar above and a large Shuffle button below. The icons are simple; just buttons to select, add, remove, edit, print, and save lists, as well as Help, About, and Options menus. We clicked the large green plus sign and typed some names into The Hat's list view, though of course you can enter any text, not just names. We pressed Shuffle, and the interface came alive, shaking like a go-go dancer, flashing changing colors, and playing a "shuffling" sound that was a bit too close to digital jitter for our ears as it randomly reordered the list. The next thing we did was to click Options and uncheck the box for playing sounds, though we kept the flashing colors and shaking window. We also turned the sound effects off for the individual name picker feature, which has its own interface you access from the File menu by clicking either Pick Individual Names or Pick Pairs of Names. In this feature, The Hat selected names from the main list, removing them as they were selected and displaying them in a separate list of selected names, thus ensuring that names couldn't be selected again. As with the main view, we were able to save lists and results as text files and print them out. This is handy since you can create separate lists--your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd period students, for example--and call them up or edit them at need.
The Hat is basically a simple randomizer with a straightforward interface. That's what software is all about, at its core: using code to simplify work. We can see how The Hat would appeal to teachers, parents, contest holders, coaches, gamers, and others who need to pick individual names or randomly order groups.
From Harmony Hollow Software:
Just like drawing names from a hat to determine a random order for a group of people or to choose individual random names or pairs. Just input a list of names either manually or by importing from a text file, then let the program randomly re-order the entire list automatically or pick any number of random names individually or even pairs of names, complete with cool animation and optional sound effects. Great for selecting winners of raffles or sweepstakes or for parents or teachers to decide a random, arbitrary order for kids to do things such as play video games or use the computer. The pairs feature is also useful for teachers to assign partners for doing projects and games.
What's new in this version: Version 2.4 includes redesigned program icon and redesigned installation dialogs.
More Products to Consider
- Monitor your PC use and log keystrokes, clipboard, screenshot, ...
- Enhance your gameplay by editing Xbox 360 gamesaves.
- Print at home or at your office passport photo and ID photo.
- Convert and resize your image files.
- Determine a random order for a group of people or choose indivi...
- Drive the mosquitoes away.
- Watch weather just like the view from the window.
- Meassure distances and angles on your desktop.
- Categorize and keep track of your movie collection.
- Create realistic, 3D walk-throughs of your design ideas.
This download is served from an external siteclose
NOTICE: This link will open a connection to a third-party site. CNET cannot ensure the security of software that is hosted on external sites.Sponsored Products
- Find out interesting information about your birth date.
- Design and print labels for your tapes, discs, and other disc m...
- Disable private browsing option in any Web browser.
- Access great cheatsaves for your PS3.
- Local conditions, severe-weather alerts, radar, and forecasts o...
- Record all of your keyboard activities as well as language spec...
- Perform surveillance on your PC in a covert manner.
- Design and print your own garden plan.
- Monitor every keystroke on your system.
- Record keystrokes, visited web sites, and screenshots of all PC...
- Monitor user's activity by recording keystrokes and visited Web...
- Watch videos, shows, and movies from Web sites such as Hulu, CB...
- Protect children from pornographic content on the Web.
- Monitor user activity remotely and stealthily.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 22 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: The Hat 2.4
Does just what it says, imports lists from simple .txt files, nice interface, cute icon, easy to use, fun visual shuffling effect.
The bright green background of the "draw" screen is a bit garish. Nothing too terrible, though.
I love this little program, and have come back to download and re-install it each time I get a new computer. I'm an artist, and use The Hat to make lists of characters to draw and situations or words for ideas of what to draw them doing. This could be used for writing fiction, too; all-in-all, a very helpful creative tool.
"Does what it says"
Version: The Hat 2.4
Does what it says, very nice software for home and for school.
Does what it says
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content