From Fixamac Software:
Spotless is a simple utility designed to enable and disable Spotlight content indexing of volumes with the click of a button.
Spotlight content indexing can cause major slow-downs on volumes that are used for backup purposes, video rendering, Photoshop scratch disks, and a wide variety of tasks that involve the transfer of large amounts of data. Spotless can effectively and indefinitely disable the indexing of volumes that you specify. Even if the volume is a removable device, the indexing status is remembered when you remount it - even on a different computer!
Simply adding volumes to Spotlight's privacy list does not achieve the same results as using Spotless. You may cause the Metadata Server to crash, and the volumes may be indexed the next time you mount them. Also, while adding volumes to the privacy list disables content indexing, it also prevents you from finding the files by name.
Spotless allows you to delete existing Spotlight indexes. This will free up the space used by the index files on volumes that are no longer being indexed. You may also delete indexes on volumes that are being indexed. This will cause Spotlight to reindex the volume - especially useful if your index becomes damaged.
If you are having difficulties with Spotlight indexing, it could be because the ".Spotlight-V100" directory on the volume has become damaged in some way. Spotless provides a quick way to delete this directory and set the initial indexing status of the volume. In order to set the indexing status, the ".Spotlight-V100" directory will be recreated.
Spotless will automatically find and delete the "mds-crash-state" file from selected volumes. The file may be created if the Metadata Server crashed or was unexpectedly closed during the indexing process. The presence of this file can prevent Spotlight from indexing the volume in the future.
Spotless allows you to see exact size the index directory on each volume.
Spotless also includes an on/off switch for Spotlight.
What's new in this version:
- Fixed a bug that may have have prevented background processing from working if the path to the user's home directory contained spaces.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Spotless working normally if it was setup as a hidden login item.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the background processing LaunchDaemon file from being removed when background processing was disabled
More Products to Consider
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Disable or enable Spotlight volume indexing in 10.6.
- Disable or enable Spotlight volume indexing.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Disable or enable Spotlight volume indexing in 10.7.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Recover data and photos from lost partitions and drives.
- Add tabs and new features to the OS X Finder.
- Repair the printing system problems in Mac OS X Leopard.
- Screen capture utility.
- Repair the printer setup and cups problems in Mac OS Tiger.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Circular/radial file launcher.
- Recover files, photos and office documents.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Spotlight metadata import application.
- Recovers photo, videos and music files efficiently.
- Simple way to quickly manage tasks and resource usage on your M...
- Data recovery software.
- Get info tool with batch mode & contextual menu.