CNET Editors' review
If Firefox and iTunes hooked up, their hatchling could very well be Songbird. Basic usage bugs have gone the way of last season's molting, so this fun app that's part music player, part Web browser, and all about music discovery, management, and playback is ready for every day use.
During installation, it'll ask if you want to load your iTunes music directory or another media directory, or perform the task later. Processing 5,000 songs took about 3 minutes, which is not a bad pace. It then asks you which of the preinstalled Songbird extensions you want to load. Most of these, like the iPod, Mass Storage Class, and USB device managers only make the app stronger.
The left sidebar provides quick links to bookmarks, downloads, your music library in an iTunes-style interface, and several music discovery Web sites to get you started. When you're looking at any Web site with MP3s available for download, Songbird will open a new window at the bottom of the main browsing pane. Double-click on a song to play it, and links on the right let you purchase the track from Amazon, iTunes, eMusic, and Amie St. They also tell you the format of the track--MP3 or AAC, for example--and provide a blog link for more info.
Songbird has a growing library of extensions, and support is slowly growing for those written originally for Firefox. Songbird is more than stable enough to take flight for the music-loving, Web-surfing fanatic in all of us.
Songbird is a desktop media player, specifically designed with the future in mind. While most media players are still focusing on local music only, Songbird is currently looking to the constantly-changing landscape of the web for guidance. What does this mean? Simply put, Songbird allows you to 'play' the web. Instead of needing separate applications to search for and listen to music, Songbird allows you to do it all from one simple program, with an astounding level of integration between the web and your music.
Of course, many of the most popular media players, such as iTunes on Mac and Windows, and Winamp and Windows Media Player on Windows, are available free of charge. But there's more to Songbird's freedom than its lack of a price tag: Songbird is open-source, which means that it is community-driven and powered by you. You can truly make it your own and modify it to your heart's content with add-ons. Also, rather than just implementing the features that are most likely to bring in revenue, Songbird's development team can implement features that they think are cutting-edge, useful, or just plain cool.
Have you ever tried to play music on another operating system, only to find that you are unfamiliar with the media player? That's not a problem with Songbird, since it runs on the 'big three' of operating systems (Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X), which means that you'll have a consistent experience between operating systems.
Songbird is probably the most customizable media player on the planet. Want to change the way it looks, add support for a web service, or add something new to the way the media library works? There's probably an add-on for it, and they are easy to install.
What's new in this version:
- An always-available, on-the-fly playlist queueing feature
- 7digital music store addon redesign
- Performance improvements
- Faster search and filtering
- Quicker metadata editing when changing several files simultaneously
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Bring High Definition sound to YouTube, iTunes, Spotify, Pandor...
- Change your voice and add sound effects to games and voice chat...
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- MP3 Cutter Joiner is easy-to-use MP3 Cutter and MP3 Joiner tool...
- Enhance the sound quality of all PC audio.
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Split and join MP3 files and WAV files.
- Mount ISO images as CD/DVD device virtually.
- Capture, edit, enhance, and burn whatever audio files you have.
- Search and download from over 100 million songs.
All versions:2.8 stars
out of 15 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Could be fantastic but several intolerable quirks"
Version: Songbird 1.9.1
sound quality is superior to itunes, lots of interesting material presented with music, can stream from 3d party sites that itunes can't.
wants to save to my printer! multiplies my itunes library repeatedly, adding duplicates and triplicates.
If the quirks and bugs get worked out this will/would be the best music and sound application, but now it is just the most frustrating.
"Crashes sometime for no reason."
Version: Songbird 1.9.1
This application is great, it is both a web browser and a music player and management tool, it has lots of great features but...
It looks like it is not polished well enough, it still has some serious bugs and crashes some times which makes to use this application very annoying.
Nice features but still not polished enough.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content