CNET Editors' review
The RipTunes user interface is simple and straightforward. At the top are four tabs: Search, Library, Queue, and Ringtone. Search is self explanatory, Library is where you can view all downloaded files, Queue brings up a page showing current downloads, and Ringtone is where you can cut MP3 files to make ringtones.
The Search tab is where you want to go first. Inputting any artist name or song title will bring you to a new page. Overall the program works amazingly well downloading and converting to MP3. A typical song will take about 30 to 45 seconds to completely download and convert. (Your mileage may vary depending on Internet speed.) The files are saved in your regular Windows Music folder, and there is currently no option to change this default path.
RipTunes also includes a simple player for you to listen to newly grabbed tracks. You also have the option to post your search results and downloaded files directly to Facebook or Twitter. However, this doesn't seem to be a useful feature besides advertising RipTunes to all of your friends; they can't use the link until they have downloaded RipTunes themselves.
Additionally, the ringtone maker feature is a sweet addition to an already good software program. Select any track from your library and highlight the area you want to export to a ringtone. It'll cut the song and save as an MP3 (Android/Windows) or rename it to M4R (iPhone), depending on your selection. We like the simple and easy-to-use interface, and the seamless process going from search to listen.
We encountered some gripes during our test. RipTunes' search engine doesn't work the same way as a regular YouTube search. The result will always end in an artist's page with a listing of all available songs, even when you input a specific song title. This would be good if you were trying to discover a new artist and want to listen to that singer's entire catalog, but it could also be an annoyance if you just want one particular song.
As the search page is sparse on information, showing only artist name/bio and track length next to the song title, looking up a specific song will require a few extra steps. Searching cover songs can be a chore if you don't know the exact artist's name. Inputting song titles brought up only the original performers and also had trouble finding obscure but viral hits. We would like to see the search feature improved; a future update could include filters or add columns for popularity and view counts as well as support for grassroots artists.
That being said, it is still finely tuned software that works just as advertised and does offer some great extra features, a step up from your usual YouTube converter.
Converting YouTube to MP3 has never been this easy, with a massive database of over 20 million music only videos, RipTunes allows you to search, discover, download, convert, play and manage music, and is the best free and legal alternative to Limewire. What sets RipTunes apart from other YouTube Downloaders and YouTube to MP3 convertors is that it offers a build-in music search and discovery system, with one click download & convert functionality, a music manager and player, automated iTunes sync (that automatically syncs all your downloaded music directly into you iPhone, iPad and iPod) and it even got a free Ringtone maker for your iPhone / Android, all in one easy to use software that is so easy to use that even your mother can use it.
Convert YouTube to MP3: You can do just about anything music-related with RipTunes: you can convert YouTube to MP3 and find every song or album out there. Download any song for free and organize your music using a smart and simple interface that enables you to listen to music, share it and create ringtones out of your favorite songs. Did you find a cool YouTube video you'd like to have playing on your iPod or any other device whenever you want? Simply find it on RipTunes and you're a click away from having the YouTube MP3 song you wanted right there on your iPod, computer or anywhere else. Manage Your Music: But RipTunes does much more than just convert YouTube to MP3. If you're looking to do more than convert music, you can do it all with RipTunes: you can search for your favorite music or you can discover new music that you might have never found otherwise; you can also download music straight to your computer, iPhone, iPad, iPod or any other portable device so you can listen to your music anywhere; you can use RipTunes as your music center and organize all your music in one easy, user-friendly versatile place. Create Ringtones: But that's not all. With RipTunes, in addition to the option to convert YouTube to MP3 you also have a way of taking your favorite music or videos and transform them, or a part of them, into ringtones. With a simple to use interface you can create numerous ringtones for your phone and sound bits from your favorite song, movie or TV show.
What's new in this version: Version 2.0 includes major bug fixes and brand new features, including:
- Added ability to download specific YouTube to MP3 directly using URL
- Added ability to set the output audio quality (64/128/192 Kbps)
- Added ability to change download directory
- Added auto complete suggested search
- Added specific song title search highlighting
- Added number of views column in the search results page
- Added Proxy support
- Refined search algori... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Download and convert videos, including YouTube to MP3, M4A, FLV...
- Download and convert videos from video streaming sites.
- Download YouTube videos and convert to multiple formats.
- Increase your connection speed and recover broken downloads.
- Download and save YouTube video to you local computer.
- Extract music from YouTube movies as MP3 files.
- Convert multiple Youtube videos to various formats.
- Download and convert online videos to any format including iPho...
- Download and manage torrent files.
This download is served from an external siteclose
LEGAL NOTICE: This link will take you to a third-party website. Downloading copyrighted materials without authorization or providing others with copyrighted materials for them to download without authorization may put you at risk for legal action under copyright law in the United States and other countries. CNET discourages the use of software for any unlawful purpose
- Download free videos from YouTube, Google, Yahoo, Facebook.
- Download videos and sounds from YouTube.
- Download and convert YouTube videos to MP3, AVI, 3GP, MP4, MOV,...
- Download and convert any YouTube video into your favorite forma...
- Download and convert videos from YouTube.
- Manage your file downloads on your Windows PC.
- Download YouTube videos and convert to multiple formats includi...
- Download YouTube videos as MP3 files.
- Download YouTube videos and accelerate downloads.
- Listen to the Internet streaming music and save those streams a...
- Download video and music from YouTube.
- Download and convert video and radio.
- Download YouTube videos and convert them into various formats.
- Download and convert Web videos and MP3s at the highest possibl...
All versions:3.1 stars
out of 27 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Software does not work"
Version: RipTunes YouTube to MP3 Converter 2.0
I tried many search and could not get results to display.
This version is broken I think
"Fed up with all those "free" downloaders. Read why:"
Version: RipTunes YouTube to MP3 Converter 2.0
Free yes. But all "free" down loaders, comes with FREE VIRUS.
I would prefer X1000 times to charge a small fee and have this software clean, instead of having their software free and infect my computer with spyware and viruses!
I prefer to pay a few bucks and have peace of mind. Try other solutions like MelodyQuest or VideoZonk.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content