CNET Editors' review
You'll really have to work to get this proxy hunter and checker up and running, but it pays off in the end. There's been no effort to make Proxyfire's multitabbed interface attractive or user friendly. Information, options, and controls are jammed together in a compact space. Flash movies mentioned in the instructions are either missing or use the program's Chinese interface. Dedicated testers will need to scour the program's Help files and online forums to find out how to use Proxyfire.
Getting Proxyfire to work is only the first hurdle. Getting it to find and check useful proxies is an art. Most users aren't going to find any useful proxies with the default settings. The online forum is filled with hints and proxy lists collected by power users. Thorough users will eventually find various proxies that this utility can quickly check. It helpfully prepares reports listing the proxies as High Anonymous, Anonymous, Transparent, SOCKS, SSL, or Tunnel. The reports are easy to read, and information is simple to save for later use. Defining proxy searches is very flexible with simple methods to choose search parameters by country or port.
Testers found that Proxyfire's proxy check was fast and thorough. Finding the proxies to check was far less simple, but the demo limitations are centered on number of check threads with no time limitation. Advanced users needing large numbers of well-tested proxies should give this finder and tester a shot, but be prepared to spend some time tweaking it to get the best results.
Proxyfire is a powerful proxy server hunter and checker, which can not only support HTTP, SOCKS4, SOCKS5, Tunnel/IRC, SSL proxies checking, but also classify them into SOCKS proxy, High Anonymous proxy, Anonymous proxy,Transparent proxy and Gateway proxy. It's a strong and multifunctional tool, including forums proxy leech, search engine proxy leech, proxy scan, ip to country query, proxy duplicates remove, proxy trimming, proxy disorder you can get thousands of fresh proxies per day by using default settings. This version is the first release on CNET Download.com.
What's new in this version: This version is the first release on CNET Download.com.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Protect your PC in real time from malware & spyware.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Reduce multiple passwords to one single item.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Record and view every keystroke typed on keyboard.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Protect your personal home computer from malware attacks.
- Protect your PC from various malicious threats with antivirus a...
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
- Stay anonymous, change your IP address, and protect your comput...
- Find and remove specific viruses from your PC.
- Get the latest antivirus updates.
- Get updated virus pattern files.
- Update Norton virus definitions and antivirus products.
- Protect your system and files from virus and spyware.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Dirty piece of soft"
Version: Proxyfire 1.18
I couldn't find a pro for this.
People running this software perhaps are not aware that they are scanning thousands of IPs and quite a lot of ports, thus creating trouble. It's a waste of admin's time and a waste of bandwidth and, on top of that, unfair. If you want anonymity, you have much better tools as, for ex. Tor.
By using this, your IP will likely be considered as offensive and therefore, it will be no wonder if you find yourself banned in a lot of sites.
"Leaves much to be desired as proxy analyzing software"
Version: Proxyfire 1.18
Your "editor's review" fails to mention a very important fact about this program. It reports numerous transparent (non-anonymous) proxies as being anonymous. In my opinion this makes Proxyfire useless.
It gives the user the impression it is checking proxies very fast. However, in my opinion it is simply comparing your submitted list against an online pre-tested master list ... much the same as all online proxy checkers do. This is the chief reason why so many transparent proxies are reported as being anonymous. They were at some previous point in time, but the status of a proxy is momentary. and although the "master list" is (supposedly) checked regularly there is no way to keep it current and produce the desired quick results.
For this reason alone, the purchase of Proxyfire would be a total waste of money.