CNET Editors' review
You'll really have to work to get this proxy hunter and checker up and running, but it pays off in the end. There's been no effort to make Proxyfire's multitabbed interface attractive or user friendly. Information, options, and controls are jammed together in a compact space. Flash movies mentioned in the instructions are either missing or use the program's Chinese interface. Dedicated testers will need to scour the program's Help files and online forums to find out how to use Proxyfire.
Getting Proxyfire to work is only the first hurdle. Getting it to find and check useful proxies is an art. Most users aren't going to find any useful proxies with the default settings. The online forum is filled with hints and proxy lists collected by power users. Thorough users will eventually find various proxies that this utility can quickly check. It helpfully prepares reports listing the proxies as High Anonymous, Anonymous, Transparent, SOCKS, SSL, or Tunnel. The reports are easy to read, and information is simple to save for later use. Defining proxy searches is very flexible with simple methods to choose search parameters by country or port.
Testers found that Proxyfire's proxy check was fast and thorough. Finding the proxies to check was far less simple, but the demo limitations are centered on number of check threads with no time limitation. Advanced users needing large numbers of well-tested proxies should give this finder and tester a shot, but be prepared to spend some time tweaking it to get the best results.
Proxyfire is a powerful proxy server hunter and checker, which can not only support HTTP, SOCKS4, SOCKS5, Tunnel/IRC, SSL proxies checking, but also classify them into SOCKS proxy, High Anonymous proxy, Anonymous proxy,Transparent proxy and Gateway proxy. It's a strong and multifunctional tool, including forums proxy leech, search engine proxy leech, proxy scan, ip to country query, proxy duplicates remove, proxy trimming, proxy disorder you can get thousands of fresh proxies per day by using default settings. This version is the first release on CNET Download.com.
What's new in this version: This version is the first release on CNET Download.com.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Connect to the Internet using remote proxy servers.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Transform your PC into a Web server with various features.
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Set up a private proxy server on your PC.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Use every proxy as a standalone program.
- Diagnose problems by viewing raw HTTP traffic between your brow...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Connect your entire local network to the Internet through one I...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Get anonymous proxy lists to protect your IP address on the Int...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Offer bug fixes for previous released of MSXML 3.0 SP.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Surf the Web anonymously or bypass firewalls and blocking.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Hide your IP address for completely anonymous Web surfing.
- Get tools to receive, parse, and manage mail on POP3 servers.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Dirty piece of soft"
Version: Proxyfire 1.18
I couldn't find a pro for this.
People running this software perhaps are not aware that they are scanning thousands of IPs and quite a lot of ports, thus creating trouble. It's a waste of admin's time and a waste of bandwidth and, on top of that, unfair. If you want anonymity, you have much better tools as, for ex. Tor.
By using this, your IP will likely be considered as offensive and therefore, it will be no wonder if you find yourself banned in a lot of sites.
"Leaves much to be desired as proxy analyzing software"
Version: Proxyfire 1.18
Your "editor's review" fails to mention a very important fact about this program. It reports numerous transparent (non-anonymous) proxies as being anonymous. In my opinion this makes Proxyfire useless.
It gives the user the impression it is checking proxies very fast. However, in my opinion it is simply comparing your submitted list against an online pre-tested master list ... much the same as all online proxy checkers do. This is the chief reason why so many transparent proxies are reported as being anonymous. They were at some previous point in time, but the status of a proxy is momentary. and although the "master list" is (supposedly) checked regularly there is no way to keep it current and produce the desired quick results.
For this reason alone, the purchase of Proxyfire would be a total waste of money.