CNET Editors' review
If you're looking for a full-featured image editor at a relatively low price, Pixelmator fills the bill nicely. Sporting a smooth Mac-friendly interface, Pixelmator offers a layout much like Adobe Photoshop with separate toolbars offering standard selector and paint brush type tools, a color-picker, a layer manager, and a brush picker with large array of options, from "follow direction" to multiple jitter settings. Pixelmator also has support for Adobe Photoshop brushes.
Also like Photoshop, Pixelmator comes with all the image manipulation tools you might need for adjusting color, saturation, brightness and contrast, and many more. If you want to add effects to your images, you can pick from several different common filters like distortion, blur, sharpen, halftone, and stylize, along with more esoteric filters like clouds and noise. Essentially, Pixelmator gives you a lot of the same tools, effects, filters, and capabilities (like save for Web and trim) that you would find in Photoshop, though you won't find many of Photoshop's more advanced tools.
Perhaps the biggest difference most users with above average image editing needs will notice is Pixelmator's price ($59). It's important to note the demo version watermarks all your images, but once you see the amount of features this app has, you probably won't mind paying for all that functionality.Pixelmator - Create, edit, and enhance images on your Mac - Download Video Previews:
From Pixelmator Team:
Pixelmator is an image editor for Mac OS X that allows you to create, edit, and enhance your images. Interface designed for work with images, layers-based image editing, use over 20 tools for selecting, crop, painting, retouching, typing, measuring, and navigation. Use over 15 color correction tools, use over 50 filters, adjust image size and resolution. Transform images, layers or selections using transform tools, fill and stroke images, layers or selections, photo browser offers quick access to iPhoto Library, events, albums, smart albums, and pictures folder. Use your iSight camera to add pictures to your compositions. Includes automator actions for converting, resizing, enhancing, adding special effects, and transforming images. Image processing is powered by core image and open GL.
What's new in this version:
- Faster and smoother Gradient Tool
- Gradient sharing
- Faster and more precise Selection Tools
- Faster JPEG compression and decompression (libjpeg-turbo support in other words)
- Ability to use the space shortcut when using Lasso Tool
- Ability to use the keyboard shortcuts (Command + Option + Arrow keys) to copy layers or selections
- Double-click in the gradients editor to add a... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- View digital images and manipulate EXIF info.
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Crate memorable slideshows from your photos.
- Group and batch rename photo and video files.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Right-click an image file you want to preview and you'll see a ...
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- Take screenshots (selected area, or full screen), edit and uplo...
- Create photo collages from your digital images.
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 23 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Photoshop Elements still THE VERY BEST!"
Version: Pixelmator 1.6.5
I tried it, and all others, and to tell the truth, nothing comes close to the power and ease of use of PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS. Period.
Photoshop Elements 9 costing only 20 dollars more, is much better option and a much better tool, easy, powerful and user-friendly
I don't understand WHY on the list of "popular editing software", there is no Photoshop Elements...???!!!
It seems to me, the list is not accurate at all.
And another thing: Pixelmator price of $60 is not much less than of a more superior Photoshop Elements, which is $80.
Why would anybody go for Pixelmator, if for $20 more you can get a much better PSE9 ????
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content