CNET Editors' review
There's no shortage of free tools for resizing your digital photos and other images, though they range in size and complexity from command-line DOS tools to applications sophisticated enough to rival Photoshop. Photo Magician from Sheldon Solutions is extremely easy to use, but where it excels is in converting batches of photos to the same size and format for easy storage and display. With what amounts to one-click, set-and-forget conversion, Photo Magician may be the simplest such app we've tried. There's no red-eye correction or color adjustment, just the basics.
Photo Magician's sparse but efficient and attractive interface signals right away that this program is all about doing a specific job as quickly and easily as possible. There's a simple tabbed dialog with a wizard-based process for configuring Profiles that save your preferred settings. We browsed to and selected our Input and Output folders and moved to the Profile tab. Clicking Select a Profile opened a drop-down list containing preconfigured settings for everything from iPods to HDTVs, with custom options, too. Simple controls let us scale our images, and the Profile Editor let us access and change all our saved Profiles. The Conversion Settings tab includes check boxes and brief but clear explanations; for instance, the EXIF data option explains that the conversion process is faster with preview turned off. The Options tab let us change the interface language, set TIFF output compression and the output format for other file types, check for updates, and access command-line parameters. When we had our profile configured and saved, all we had to do was select our images and click Quick Convert Mode. Photo Magician processed and saved our images without any fuss.
It's not uncommon for people to end up with several folders full of duplicate images of various sizes and formats, mostly digital snapshots uploaded in bulk from a camera. Other free tools do more, of course, which can just mean they're less useful because they're too complicated or take too long.
From Sheldon Solutions:
Photo Magician is a program that allows you to quickly scale and convert your images. It convert images using pre-defined profiles, creates custom profiles, resize images by pixel size or by percentage, include sub folders for image conversion, and has the ability to overwrite the original images. It features turn off image previewing during the conversion, exclude images under certain file size, exclude images under certain pixel size, and convert all images to one image format.
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Download, edit, manage, save, and share photos.
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Carry out all essential tasks of the photography workflow and d...
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- Add your photo into different beautiful templates.
- Convert images into different formats in a batch mode.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Edit, adjust, filter, and collage your images; take your photos...
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- View digital images and manipulate EXIF info.
All versions:3.4 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Much Improved Interface! Image's Still Lose Quality! :("
Version: Photo Magician 2.3.4
I like the new interface. It looks clean and functional.
Some of my pictures (esp. JPG's & PNG's) lose some quality during conversion processes.
I would like to see an option to allow maximum (100%) image quality when converting files and batch-resizing.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content